Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I want your opinions on my plan to lift my 2012 JKU!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I want your opinions on my plan to lift my 2012 JKU!!!

So, I plan on lifting my 2012 JK Unlimited in the next month or so.
It is a stock model. Dana 44 in back with Dana 30 up front.

The plan for lifting is:

Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
Bilstein 5160 Reservoir Shocks
Black 15" Cragar Soft 8's
35" Goodyear MTR
Regear to 4.10

I'm going to get away with stock drive axles for a few weeks then have them replaced with custom job when i have the cash.

Next on my "to do list" after that is lockers, bumpers front/back, skids, rock rails.

Give me your opinions on this setup and any ideas you have for me, will be much appreciated!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

first off, 4.5" is A LOT of lift for just 35" tires and a long arm kit is totally unnecessary for them. i might recommend something closer to a 3"-3.5" with stock length arms unless you're planning on running 37's or bigger. second, you live in socal and i would imagine you will play on the rocks we have out here. if that is true, i would strongly recommend AGAINST a lift kit that uses radius arms. the kit you are looking at in particular is notorious for blowing out bushings and more times than not, after one wheeling trip. this is a fact and one that i have personally seen time and time again. do yourself a favor and look into a kit with a 4 link setup. being that you have a 2012 and just planning to run 35's, i might hold off on regearing until after you run your jeep for a while as i would bet that you'll find that you're fine with the gears you got. regarding drive shafts, you really will want to get a new front shaft sooner than later. even at 3" of lift, you will trash the slip shaft boot the first time you flex and the cv boot on the output shaft will fail sooner than later. being that you have a 4-door, you will be fine with the rear.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
Black 15" Cragar Soft 8's
I don't think these clear the brakes?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default got me thinking

Originally Posted by wayoflife
first off, 4.5" is A LOT of lift for just 35" tires and a long arm kit is totally unnecessary for them. i might recommend something closer to a 3"-3.5" with stock length arms unless you're planning on running 37's or bigger. second, you live in socal and i would imagine you will play on the rocks we have out here. if that is true, i would strongly recommend AGAINST a lift kit that uses radius arms. the kit you are looking at in particular is notorious for blowing out bushings and more times than not, after one wheeling trip. this is a fact and one that i have personally seen time and time again. do yourself a favor and look into a kit with a 4 link setup. being that you have a 2012 and just planning to run 35's, i might hold off on regearing until after you run your jeep for a while as i would bet that you'll find that you're fine with the gears you got. regarding drive shafts, you really will want to get a new front shaft sooner than later. even at 3" of lift, you will trash the slip shaft boot the first time you flex and the cv boot on the output shaft will fail sooner than later. being that you have a 4-door, you will be fine with the rear.

can you recommend a quality bomb proof 4-link?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by wayoflife
x2. I'd run a TrailMaster or RK if you're going to go LA, but as Eddie mentioned that's a little small of a tire for that kind of lift. The issue with the front shaft *will* happen.

Originally Posted by j33p4life
I don't think these clear the brakes?
Some do, some don't. Dunno why. It can be done even if they don't clear with a little grinding.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
can you recommend a quality bomb proof 4-link?
"bomb proof"? sorry, i don't know if i believe in such a thing. everything can and will break - it's just the nature of the beast. now, i think a good 4-link setup will perform and last a lot longer and in a short arm setup, i can tell you that i have personally run a teraflex, full-traction lift and have installed and tested a currie lift and clayton lift and would have to say they are all good choices. while i have installed other kits, i have not tested them out and cannot speak from experience of how they will perform long term on the trail.

if you're still looking at a long arm kit, i now run an EVO MFG kit and do so for a reason. for the amount of lift i have, the size tire i run and the amount of flex i have, it is the best kit i have seen and personally run hands down.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regear to 4.10 I didn't see if you are in a 6 speed or slush box but I would not spend money gearing to 4.10 for 35's in either situation.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

You will also have to invest in the teraflex exhaust spacers or the other kit that moves your exhaust.

15"s will clear, just have to have 4.5" backspacing or less.

Quick Reply: I want your opinions on my plan to lift my 2012 JKU!!!