Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

i want to run 35's but can the 3.73's handle it?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did 35's with the 3:73's and auto. Is it drive-able? Yes, very. One thing others on here with the same set-up might be missing is a tranny temp gauge. It gets hot, hot enough that i installed a cooler. Cooler helps but doesn't fix the added strain from the gearing being off. I am re-gearing to 5:13's. this was the plan all along. I don't anticipate any problems with 5:13's and the cooler.
Long story short, pay attention to the people who re-geared, unless you have extra transmissions laying around. I don't think a tranny would live a long happy life pushing 35's with 3:73 gears, especially on the highway.
Good luck, and try searching tranny temps for more info.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09
these are the 2 lifts i'm looking at...

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4x.html

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4.html

i like the second one cause its pretty basic for what i want to do. but i was also thinking the first one because im not sure whats on some of the trails that my buddies want me to go on.

also, cesmith710 do you have any pictures of your jeep? there is one JK in the city where i live and its sitting up on 35's with a 4" lift but its a Rubicon unlimited so its huge. No one around here carries 33" tires so i cant roll them up next to my jeep and see how they look.

Originally Posted by JPop
Lots of warnings to try to keep you off a bad path and nobody has even mentioned the cam bolts yet you'll get with the RC lift.
JPop is right. If you can fit it into your budget include some adjustable front lower control arms so you can adjust your Caster angle. The first KC you listed includes CAs but it does not appear they are adjustable. If this is the case, consider your second RC choice and a set of adjustable CAs.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Once again I have the 4inch RC basic with the CAM bolts. I see you requested pics so I will try to get some in the next day or so. alot of folks have this basic kit and have had no issues. I have had mine for about 7 months and it drives great. This is my 5th jeep (all of which were lifted) and this JK drives better than any of them. I know several friends that have this kit for some time and none have had drive shaft issues. As I mentioned above, it's a good basic kit for someone who does mild trail rides. You do get what you pay for and this is good for those that want to run bigger tires and mild wheeling. If you are into hardcore wheeling then go with one of the more expensive kits that replace/beef up more of your suspension components. Hey either way, from 2 inch to 6 inch lift, figure out what you want to use it for, decide on a budget then spend more than you planned on and JUST RUN IT!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

as long as you don't have an auto, the 3.73's should be ok for a short while. If you have an auto... you should save up and do it right all at once.

I had 4.10s and 33s for a long time and it was OK, but when I went to 35's I started hating life. MPG was crap, driveability was crap, No OD (even downhill)... In short, it sucked a fat 8===D. I got 5.13s a week later, and I am loving life from the passing lane. I was really worried that all the extra strain on the tranny would either cause a fire or burn up my transmission. Most of the guys that had their JK burn to the ground had automatics. The theory is that they over heated and spit boiling ATF up the dipstick tube, landing on the exhaust manifold where it ignited and burned to the ground.

If you have a stick, all you need to worry about is MPG sucking and never passing again,
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cesmith710
Once again I have the 4inch RC basic with the CAM bolts. I see you requested pics so I will try to get some in the next day or so. alot of folks have this basic kit and have had no issues. I have had mine for about 7 months and it drives great. This is my 5th jeep (all of which were lifted) and this JK drives better than any of them. I know several friends that have this kit for some time and none have had drive shaft issues. As I mentioned above, it's a good basic kit for someone who does mild trail rides. You do get what you pay for and this is good for those that want to run bigger tires and mild wheeling. If you are into hardcore wheeling then go with one of the more expensive kits that replace/beef up more of your suspension components. Hey either way, from 2 inch to 6 inch lift, figure out what you want to use it for, decide on a budget then spend more than you planned on and JUST RUN IT!

What sucks is when you realize the cam-bolts will not adjust enough to correct your caster. Or you have a cam-bolt that keeps working its way loose and you want to replace it with an adj. control arm. You will have to get someone to repair your lower control arm brackets. It is going to require patching in some metal (a washer may work) and welding it place on the LCA bracket.

I like the way my Jeep drives, and I like being safe. Buying cheapest "lift kit" I could find did not suit my needs. I wanted a suspension system that improved the factory components. Not one that took away from them.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

i also found this one..

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3.html

im not gonna need much flex so i think it will work... im also fine with the ride being a little more bumpy too. i dated a girl with a 6" suspention lift and a 2" body lift on her TJ and 37" super swampers. it was a horrable ride and handled terrably. but it was fun. hahaha. i got used to it after a month or so. but her steering wheel was off by about a quarter of a rotation...

Last edited by JKmudslinger09; 10-19-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Again, do a search on the RC lifts to get some feedback on issues with the 'progressive rate coils' so you can make an informed decision...

but her steering wheel was off by about a quarter of a rotation...
You'll have the same issue after the lift. Loosen two bolts, twist, tighten bolts. Done.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

i got ahold of rough country and asked them about lifts, what one suits me the best and any extra parts i would need. they said my ideal lift would be the 3.25". it doesnt have a body lift, it will keep things relatively straight and wont do much wear and tear on my drivshaft. they did say however, that i should also purchase a dual stabalizer but its not a must. i did my homework and i think this is the one... this is harder then choosing the color of the jeep i wanted to buy. hahaha. i have all winter though untill i put it on. i just picked up my 31' coopers for the winter so now money is even tighter.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

Have you looked at the Teraflex 2.5" coil kit? It gives just over 3" in the front and just over 2" in the rear. It is a level stance that looks great on 33s or 35s. Everyone that has it loves it.

I am not bashing rough country, but that 3.25" kit is just their 2.5" with a .75" coil spring spacer (like in a BB) added to it. A lot of guys have had issues with the coils. As mentioned the coils are progressive rate, but the top coils will compress flat and cause the springs to sag and ride rough. Do a search, there are many threads about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Nice try Bigblue. The coil problems have been mentioned several times, but he says he's done his homework and actually wants a horrible ride...

im also fine with the ride being a little more bumpy too. i dated a girl with a 6" suspention lift and a 2" body lift on her TJ and 37" super swampers. it was a horrable ride and handled terrably. but it was fun. hahaha.
At least RC is aware of the issue and is in the process of engineering some new coils.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-19-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: i want to run 35's but can the 3.73's handle it?