Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

i want to run 35's but can the 3.73's handle it?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 09 with the basic 4 inch RC lift you are talking about and it is fine. I went with Mickey Thompson MTZ's 33's on 16x10 inch rims and that is about max I would go with the 373 gears. Any bigger and you are really putting a strain on your running gear. With these jk's and a 4 inch lift you can easily fit 36inch + size tires so if I spend the money to regear i'm going with some bigger meats than just 35's. As far as the kit and if your not doing any extreme wheeling it is fine. Drives good and the drive shaft angles aren't too bad. Now if your doing some hard wheeling I would go with some of the more detailed kits for articulation etc...but for street and basic trail this kit is fine
Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
You need to spend more time reading here before you make any moves.

A 4" lift without control arms will drive like crap, and a 4" lift with a 2 door JK will fry your rear driveshaft (and destroy your front if you have an automatic).

3.73 gears with 35s will be extremely lethargic and your gas mileage will be very low.

To start, read the FAQs here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/modified-tech-faq-answers-questions-every-newbie-has-18617/
I agree with planman on the 4" lift, you don't need that for 35s in fact it's possible to sit on top of 35s with no lift at all and some fender massaging. A 2.5" lift gets you there without fender modification and can be achieved without opening the can of worms that you get into with a 3" or more lift.

I'm not so much in line with planmans thoughts on the gears, although you'll probably want to get them at some point. The important thing is keeping your rpms up above 2,000 at highway cruise speeds. On the long highway flats you can probably squeeze that down to 1800 rpm and still retain good fuel mileage. Anything below that and speeds above 50mph you are not making good use of the engines power band while robbing your fuel mileage.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09
thats the thing.. i have to climb this hill to get home and i have to run at it cause its a 50mph zone so i get up to 60mph by the time im at the top im at 3000rpms in 4th going 45mph. thats why im debation on 35's. haha
Don't be afraid to twist that motor a bit!

The advantages of a manual transmission and knowing that I have that hill ahead of me I can do that double kick down before I get there. If I do the two downshifts while climbing the hill I lose a ton of momentum, am probably bogging in both gears before I do the shift and before I'm at the top I'm impeding traffic flow. Twisting the motor at 3,000 rpm is something that I would consider to be in the normal cruising zone for the 3.8 6 banger.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

these are the 2 lifts i'm looking at...

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4x.html

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4.html

i like the second one cause its pretty basic for what i want to do. but i was also thinking the first one because im not sure whats on some of the trails that my buddies want me to go on.

also, cesmith710 do you have any pictures of your jeep? there is one JK in the city where i live and its sitting up on 35's with a 4" lift but its a Rubicon unlimited so its huge. No one around here carries 33" tires so i cant roll them up next to my jeep and see how they look.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
Don't be afraid to twist that motor a bit!

The advantages of a manual transmission and knowing that I have that hill ahead of me I can do that double kick down before I get there. If I do the two downshifts while climbing the hill I lose a ton of momentum, am probably bogging in both gears before I do the shift and before I'm at the top I'm impeding traffic flow. Twisting the motor at 3,000 rpm is something that I would consider to be in the normal cruising zone for the 3.8 6 banger.
True I agree. 35's and 4.10s is as much as i want with my 6spd. I dont know how the automatic guys do it with less gearing. Man it must be hard on the driveline.

2.5" coil spacers is all I need right now. No need for any further modifications until I'm ready to step up to the long arm. 3.5-4" "coil lifts" and such are too half ass for me. They want the look, but give up a ton for it. Eventually will wear out components. Versus the 2.5" spacers will keep everything else happy (+sway extensions, brake line extensions), ride well, flex well, and I run 35s on mine

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 10-18-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

these are the 2 lifts i'm looking at...
Browse through the FAQ's stickied to the top of this section. (Planman even linked them in his first reply...) Then actually read Planmans reply again.

Then read through ANY of the other RC lift kit threads before you purchase. Know what you are getting, and what issues others are reporting. (try the little search button up there on the right...)

When considering any lower priced lift - look past the low price, and actually consider the components that are included. Ask yourself 'why' it is priced so low, and then start thinking about what else you may want to add to 'complete' the kit.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-18-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

You don't need a 4" lift to fit 35" tires. I would look at the 2.5" to 3" lifts, especially since you have a two door. You simply can't do a decent lift over 3" on your budget. Do a search and read up on the many posts on this subject. With a 6 speed, you can manage with 3.73 gears but your gas mileage and low end performance will suffer.

Last edited by river2c; 10-18-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Lots of warnings to try to keep you off a bad path and nobody has even mentioned the cam bolts yet you'll get with the RC lift.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much good info here. I run 3.73 with 35s and for me it runs OK, not great but OK. I do mostly city driving but when I do get on the highway it is a little rough...Passing others particularly but it is doable. I am getting 12-13 around the city and 15-16 on the highway with about 14 mixed. I definitely plan on regearing at some point but its's not at the top of my list. If you plan on doing the 35's definitely take a look at a programmer (i.e AEV Procal, Superchips) to correct your speedo, and it will also improve shift points (especially if you have an auto). I run a TF 2.5 Coil lift with shocks and it fits 35's great with plenty of room, and it rides great on and offroad. Hope this helps, and listen to all the good advice here...I did
Old 10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the great information everyone. HUGE HELP!!! im going to go with the 2.5" kit or a 3.25" instead of the 4". i dont have the money just yet to start pulling driveshafts or regearing so ill start out small. any other reccomendations for parts besides what comes with the lifts?

Quick Reply: i want to run 35's but can the 3.73's handle it?