Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I want to cruise in the Desert

Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to cruise in the Desert

Would I need anything else to cruise safely in the desert? I'm thinking of either going with the Terraflex 2.5 Coil Lift with Bilstein Shocks, or the Rock Krawler Coil Lift 2.5 Inch Max Travel System.

I'm not going to be going fast to me fast in the desert is 20 mph so I just want to be able to cruise to the trails in the desert on the dirt roads at around 30 mph.

Thanks Matt
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A nice set of shocks will make a huge difference. If you mimic the Teralfex Prerunner setup they have with a small lift, and possibly Fox shocks, you'll be good. Another thing that helps the ride A LOT is to make sure you air down a bit, prolly want to keep your swaybar connected though.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want to cruise the desert too, but im in nj, so i have the pine barrens which is nothing but sandy washed out trails with the occasion whoops (from the videos ive watched it looks kinda similar) But anyway, im peicing together a prerunner type suspension for this kindof driving and so far i have the tf 2.5'' coils and speedbumps and im very satisfied so far. As for shocks im still undecided what to run but im deffinatly going with a brand thats well established in off road racing (fox elka king)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elkas freakin kick ass. Me and Joe were runnin 60-70 mph in our Klondike Bluff adventure in Moab for a couple hours straight and coulda been going faster but we were leaving everyone else too far behind.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the answers guys, I have been trying to mimic the terraflex prerunner system, I'm thinking of going with Fox for shocks when I have the money.

Still can't decide which though I know both companies make really awesome products, but the RK kit says "max travel" to me its sounds like its made more for the quicker things or more flex. Then it also makes me think about the Old Man Emu Long Travel Kit.

Does anyone else here run with any of the kits I mentioned at "high" speeds haha.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by matt852; 06-03-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by matt852
Thanks for the answers guys, I have been trying to mimic the terraflex prerunner system, I'm thinking of going with Fox for shocks when I have the money.

Still can't decide which though I know both companies make really awesome products, but the RK kit says "max travel" to me its sounds like its made more for the quicker things or more flex.

Does anyone else here run with any of the kits I mentioned at "high" speeds haha.

Thanks

Matt
TeraFlex will have a sale on some adjustable FOX shocks soon that would work well for what you want to do.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
TeraFlex will have a sale on some adjustable FOX shocks soon that would work well for what you want to do.
Sweet thanks for the heads up would you recommend the 2.5 Coil lift and the fox shocks for my use? "cruising" at around 30 mph with small bumps, but no big whoopses? I'm thinking about putting the speed bumps to help with the body roll. I just want to be safe from pot holes.

Last edited by matt852; 06-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by matt852
Sweet thanks for the heads up would you recommend the 2.5 Coil lift and the fox shocks for my use? "cruising" at around 30 mph with small bumps, but no big whoopses? I'm thinking about putting the speed bumps to help with the body roll. I just want to be safe from pot holes.
I'd go with a 3" for more shock travel, SpeedBumps will help smooth out the ride more than body roll.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id choose ome. designed in Australia, made for hot temperature, and used in safari wheeling and desert racing!

check the begining of this video. we went about 85 through some loose dirt ground, stable as hell and super comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG40h5sBxoY
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
i guess ill be going with fox

Quick Reply: I want to cruise in the Desert