Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I want a 2.5 BB, but not death wobble...?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always ask, since some like to talk about death wobble, has anybody actually died from this.... I guess we wouldn't know.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robin
I always ask, since some like to talk about death wobble, has anybody actually died from this.... I guess we wouldn't know.
I died from it once but I am fine now
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what he said.

a steering stabilizer or lack there of WILL NOT cause death wobble. this is a myth that i hear spread all the time and it simply is NOT true. if you have your suspension dialed in, no mounts or bushings are failing and all your bolts are tightend to the appropriate torque setting, you will not have death wobble and you won't even need a steering stabilizer.
Eddie, do you ever get tired of having to regurgitate that same mythbusting bit of info? I have read and re-read the same thing and almost repeat it in my sleep!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Just for the record guys, I had DW in my '07 JK Unlimited (absolutely stock). I had the entire front end's torque settings checked - all fine. I reported it to my dealer, who suggested the issue was the steering stabiliser. He replaced it (under warranty). In the 6 months and 14000 km (8500 miles) since, I have not had one instance of DW. I'm not saying a bad SS causes DW, but in this case a good one has controlled it. To muddy the waters, the DW in my TJ was not helped at all by a new SS. I eventually cured it by replacing my front LCAs with Rubicon Express arms.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by paramaniac
Eddie, do you ever get tired of having to regurgitate that same mythbusting bit of info? I have read and re-read the same thing and almost repeat it in my sleep!!!
ummm, yes - i do get tired of it.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ozmarty
Just for the record guys, I had DW in my '07 JK Unlimited (absolutely stock). I had the entire front end's torque settings checked - all fine. I reported it to my dealer, who suggested the issue was the steering stabiliser. He replaced it (under warranty). In the 6 months and 14000 km (8500 miles) since, I have not had one instance of DW. I'm not saying a bad SS causes DW, but in this case a good one has controlled it. To muddy the waters, the DW in my TJ was not helped at all by a new SS. I eventually cured it by replacing my front LCAs with Rubicon Express arms.
a bad SS will not cause DW. likewise, if you had a bad one and you installed a new one, it will help to control DW. HOWEVER, helping to control DW is not the same thing as FIXING it. if your dealer actually took the time to find the source of your DW, you would be able to drive your jeep without an SS. trust me, i have been driving without one for the past few weeks and have even done it for months on end driving thousands of miles.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

well today and yesterday for the first time i had a wobble in the steering wheel. not bad but enough to worry me for the future. it happened at 35 mph or close to that the steering vibrated for maby 5 second until i desided to lower speed. i have a 2.5 bb teraflex and 33 inch tire and wheels adapter. what can i do? more caster ? i need to buy new lower arms? i never had it before and never touch anything except installing the woods relocation bracket. can it be torque probleme? or the way i put the SS back ?

Last edited by guybergeron; 03-11-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: I want a 2.5 BB, but not death wobble...?