Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I want a 2.5 BB, but not death wobble...?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want a 2.5 BB, but not death wobble...?

is it possible?

My jk is a dd rig. It also tows a small trailer. I get it off road 3 to 4 times per mo. It goes hunting & fishing with me.

I want the slight lift of 2" or 2.5" for slight increased clearance and for looks. Face it, A lifted jk is really cool I am keeping my stock rubi wheels & tires. I don't need bigger tires & wheels.

Should be easy but everyone I talk to, other jeepers, other forums and article continue to tell I ominous "death wobble" warnings.

Does every jk with a bb lift have problems?

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 02-11-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: d
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, many people have been using bb without problems, with the lift installed correctlly(pretty easy) you should be fine, alot of problems start happing withimproperly installing more complicated lifts, you'll just be adding spacers and shocks its pretty self-explan you should be alright!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

I got th Rough Country 2.5" bb with shocks and steering stabilizer. The jeep now rides better than stock. I also kept my stock tires and wheels. I feel it looks great. No problems at all with death wobble.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
is it possible?

My jk is a dd rig. It also tows a small trailer. I get it off road 3 to 4 times per mo. It goes hunting & fishing with me.

I want the slight lift of 2" or 2.5" for slight increased clearance and for looks. Face it, A lifted jk is really cool I am keeping my stock rubi wheels & tires. I don't need bigger tires & wheels.

Should be easy but everyone I talk to, other jeepers, other forums and article continue to tell I ominous "death wobble" warnings.

just so that it's 100% clear, death wobble is almost always a problem associated with your front track bar. either it has one or more loose mounting bolts, a worn out bushing, a wollowed out mounting hole or a frame or axle mount that is starting to fail. you can have death wobble on a stock jeep if your suspension is not maintained. needless to say, installing a 2.5" budget boost WILL NOT cause death wobble.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by planman
No problems here. Been running a Teraflex 2.5" BB for almost a year now--first with shock extensions and later with Skyjacker Hydros for a softer ride.

When I added my front bumper and winch, I substituted in springs from a 4 dr Rubi to eliminate the forward rake.

Wobbles come from:
  1. Incorrectly installed or torqued suspension or steering components.
  2. Improperly inflated or balanced tires.
  3. Worn, bent or broken suspension or steering components.

Wobbles do not come from BBs.
1 and 3 can cause death wobble but number 2 will only cause a really bad shimmy
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM
JK Freak

is it possible?

Man talk about wanting your cake and eating it to you have to get a little death wobble to have any fun.No just listen to wayoflife I did and got the death wobble to go way.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

2 or 3" is not enough height to throw your steering geometry off so there for no death wobble
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fellas,

Well, since I tow, I still want a firm ride... Any recommendations for shocks (for a 2.5 lift) that are good to tow on???
I'll post follow ups... I'm this close to getting a tf kit from northridge...

Tia
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Firm ride to allow for extra weight, put in the rear springs from a 4 dr rubicon.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Thanks fellas,

Well, since I tow, I still want a firm ride... Any recommendations for shocks (for a 2.5 lift) that are good to tow on???
I'll post follow ups... I'm this close to getting a tf kit from northridge...

Tia
if you've got a rubicon, the shocks on it will be plenty firm and you can just add a set of shock extensions if you wanted to. other wise, you can pick up a set of rancho 9000x's and set them however you want. but, if you want a nice nitro shock, you might want to get some OME or bilstein shocks.

Quick Reply: I want a 2.5 BB, but not death wobble...?