Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I think I have decided against.....

Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
.....against lifting my Jeep. I will probably get front spacers just thick enough to level it up in the front, maybe a tad higher to compensate for winch and bumper. There's just too much rubbing and scraping stories out there to suit me. Not to mention the wheel spacer thing. Good grief. I mean damn, this is a BRAND NEW vehicle. I don't want any trouble like that. I may put some 32s on it after I wear these out, definately something more aggressive. Until or if somebody comes out with something different, I think I'm pretty much gonna leave well enough alone.
If you had read all the stories about problems with the JK before YOUR purchase would YOU still have bought the Jeep?

It doesn't matter to me if YOU lift YOUR rig or not, it's YOUR Jeep. Just don't let internet horror stories effect YOUR decision on what YOU want to do with YOUR Jeep.

Remember people are more likely to share bad experiences and complain as oppossed to sharing good experiences (read expected results).

There are currently 9400+ members on this site which doesn't include all the JK owners modifying their Jeeps worldwide and considering the numbers here alone the problems to no problems ratio is minimal.

It's your perogative and that was just my $.02

It's Your Jeep Have Fun Out There!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup. I lurked here as a non member for a bit before the purchese. I also read everything I could get my hands on, including the TSB's this site links to. All of the TSB's I saw were kinda small stuff. Unlike the diesel truck I traded. If there is a manufacturer or vendor out there that is ready to guaranty a 2" or 2.5" budget boost to NOT rub, scrub or interfere in ANY way with anything, even at maximum droop or compression AND not kick the axles off center, I might consider it, but I am betting I won't get any bites. I had planned on this: a 2.5" bb using stock X Unlimited alloy wheels (16") and 33" tires. That's not a big departure from stock at ALL, and yet all I keep seeing are those who have to use wheel spacers to avoid scrubs and rubs and some of those still have problems. I got into wrenching on cars and trucks in 1974. I am ASE, Benz, Toyota, Chrysler, GM and Ford certified. I am a Master ASE and Toyota tech. I've been a certified welder for almost twenty five years. I have done damn near anything to a vehicle at one time or another. Toyota, for example, has offered lifts from the factory for quite some time. I used to lift NEW trucks in the dealer service department sometimes everyday. I know what makes a good lift kit. Now I have my own business where I repair and modify vehicles for people. I do a small amount of work, because I have health problems now and I ain't as young as I used to be. The fact is, as of yet, no one that I have seen offers a bb that is complete and will NOT cause trouble somewhere else, either with interference or alignment issues. Yall can put up with dog tracking new Jeeps with off center axles and rubbing and scrubbing parts all you want. THIS white boy ain't doin all that with a brand new Jeep. No how, no way. The aftermarket seems to jump the gun on things. I'd rather wait until someone offers a no nonesense, budget boost that is complete and actually made CORRECTLY for the JK. I'd pay a little more for something that would work right, but I don't want to break the bank either. Right now, there ain't a thing out there that fits that description, unless I'm missin somethin. ....and THAT'S entirely possible. LMAO
Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by terrahawk
Too may people expect Tag Hauer type quality for a Fossil type price LOL.

People that own full size trucks can lift easily, and affordably with NO trouble. There's no excuse not be able to do the same with a Jeep.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

So, you're telling me manufactures are NOT to blame for NOT designing something around a stock wheel? I have to disagree with that. If they can make it work with aftermarket wheels, they can make it work with stock wheels. You're right about the track bar, though. I never debated that. The thing is, new ones are like 200 bucks a pop, and the replacement brackets may or may not correct enough. I don't want either choice. 400 bucks is way too much to ADD to the cost of a kit, and brackets that MIGHT make it right? Just not for me. There are just too many "ifs" and "mights" there for my liking. That's all.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why not go with a BB with the amount of lift you want and adjustable track bars? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone is having issues with rubbing with 33's on a BB with either the relocation bracket for the rear or adjustable track bars Plus the adjustable track bars will allow you to recenter the axles right?

Edit: Was typing still typing when you replied

400 bucks is way too much to ADD to the cost of a kit
What was the cost of the lifts you were installing everyday with no issues on stock vehicles? What was included with the kits?

Last edited by hiteck; 02-27-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi

I might end up doing that, in the long run. I just wasn't wanting to drop close to 400 bucks on a kit with spacers....I mean damn, I could add a little to it and get a 4" kit......but then driveshafts....spacers.....35's.........see what I mean?

It's just kinda bothersome about the price jump you have to make about something that "I" feel should have been worked out with the kit. Maybe I should make my stock front bar adjustable and do a writeup. It wouldn't be too dificult to do by elongating the mount holes in the bracket and adding some cams and cam bolts. I've done it before...and before...and before...and before....
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hiteck
What was the cost of the lifts you were installing everyday with no issues on stock vehicles? What was included with the kits?

Uhhggg.....let's see....almost twenty years ago..... leafs for the rear.....heavier torsions for the front. Seems there were some brackets for brake lines and all.....and maybe some smaller parts. Hell, I think it was like 550 over the counter and seems like we got 4 hours labor to put it on. But see...back then, I didn't have a FIXED government income, like I do now, either. LMAO My old ass needs all the help I can get.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Uhhggg.....let's see....almost twenty years ago..... leafs for the rear.....heavier torsions for the front. Seems there were some brackets for brake lines and all.....and maybe some smaller parts. Hell, I think it was like 550 over the counter and seems like we got 4 hours labor to put it on. But see...back then, I didn't have a FIXED government income, like I do now, either. LMAO My old ass needs all the help I can get.
I was just curious to see the price difference in what you were installing to what your considering paying for. $550 twenty years ago goes a lot further than it does today. 2.5" TFBB with shocks $380 and adjustable rear track bar $190 is $570 if you add the front track bar as well at $190 that comes to $760.

I'm pretty sure the lift you were installing 20 years ago would be that if not more based on today's prices.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi

Most likely.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

It's your Jeep, you don't have to lift it to enjoy it. The problem is though that you've read all of the negative things and none of the positives. Remember the saying " Happy customers tell a few people and unhappy customers tell eveyone?" The same applies here. For evey person that's had problems, their are many, many more that have not. How many people are going to post that everything is perfect unless prompted to do so? Not many. Do what you want to do with you Jeep, but don't think just because some people have had bad experiences, that EVERYONE had the same ones. I have the 4" skyjacker and have not had one problem. That being said, I have new adjustable track bars that will be here shortly because I'm not going to risk the relocation brackets, but track bars are the "right way" to do it with any lift, not relocation brackets. Some things you have to correcct yourself. It's not a big deal beacuse I knew early on thanks to the forum.

Quick Reply: I think I have decided against.....