Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country

Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 2.5 is definately no good, my first set of springs sagged ~1-2 inches on the passenger side within 4 months, luckily their customer service is good and they sent me a new set about 7 months ago, still can't quite shake that leaning feeling though lol. I'm just sticking with it till my tires wear out and then I am gonna start looking at some new lift/ bigger tires
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

No offense but if you spent 38,000, why did you buy a $300 lift kit?

For me, I went into the dealer with the understanding that I wasn't buying a luxury SUV. Hell, any vehicle that you have to spend $2,200 more just to get power locks and windows isn't exactly the best value for dollar vehicle. It's going to ride rough.

As others have said, try a little lower PSI and new shocks. If you're not happy, you're not out much money. Stick the firmer RC kit on here for $150, and get something more forgiving.

Still not happy? Sell and buy a Grand.

Enjoy your jeep for what it is! Good luck..
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure someone's already mentioned it but just in case it's certainly not all in the suspension especially with smaller sidewalls on a tire for a 20" wheel.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Jebus, man. Instead of perpetuating the thread, walk outside and lower the air pressure in your E-rated tires. It's free. See if that makes it better.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

The reason I went with the $300 lift is because after reading so many posts on here on how good the RC 2.5"coil was and for how much offroading I do it fit the bill. Trust me as soon as I can there will be a Teraflex or Rock krawler on there. But I can go ahead and upgrade shocks now. By the way I dropped the tire pressure to 32#'s and there was a difference but not enough to change my opinion
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installed an OME 3.5'' lift with some TeraFlex and Rockrawler peices added in from Black Rock Customs and it was not cheap at $1300 but it rides better now with no chattering or binding and it flexes awesome now with E-load DuraTrac tires at 40 PSI...rides a little firmer than stock but in a good way seems like it "holds'' the road better than before...torque loads on some suspension pieces are important so that bushings don't get bound up...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Let me clear some things up since I keep getting hammered about I shoulda bought something else if I wanted a smooth ride. This is not my first Jeep and this is my 5th offroad vehicle I know about what I need to make things work. I started this thread to give my opinion on Rough Country and if anybody else had a german tank with the same set up. I KNOW JEEPS ARE NOT SMOOTH RIDING VEHICLES I also know what they were made for. I SIMPLY wanted an opinion on shocks with the Rough Country coils. Not everybody buys a Jeep just for mud holes only mine is a daily driver and my fishing hole ride and my hunting trail getter so thank you for the other people who gave advice without criticizing my intensions on purchasing this vehicle
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TReuter
Let me clear some things up since I keep getting hammered about I shoulda bought something else if I wanted a smooth ride. This is not my first Jeep and this is my 5th offroad vehicle I know about what I need to make things work. I started this thread to give my opinion on Rough Country and if anybody else had a german tank with the same set up. I KNOW JEEPS ARE NOT SMOOTH RIDING VEHICLES I also know what they were made for. I SIMPLY wanted an opinion on shocks with the Rough Country coils. Not everybody buys a Jeep just for mud holes only mine is a daily driver and my fishing hole ride and my hunting trail getter so thank you for the other people who gave advice without criticizing my intensions on purchasing this vehicle
Yeah man, unfortunately on this forum, like most, people get too comfy on their computer and just look to go bustin balls and playing 'master of jeeps'. Really though, some bilstein 5100's will help your ride a lot! I was able to sell my RC 2.2's later on Craigslist for $100.

Last edited by k0260; 08-22-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TReuter
Bottom line when I spend $38000 dollars on a vehicle and another $3000 on lift wheels and tires I dont expect to drive a tank so if your insinuating that I need to quit crying. Maybe
I expect more for my money
$3000 on wheels, tires and lift is really not much, especially for 20" wheels/tires I'm sure you paid a good coin. More money doesn't necessarily mean better ride. You could have bought smaller wheels for less money, and that would have helped soften the ride. As far as your lift goes, I have the same lift on D rated 35's MTR/K tires, 16" wheels, currently at 32psi. The ride is NOT rough. It is not a Cadillac, but definitely NOT rough. Comparing to stock, it's about the same. Why yours is rough, I have no idea other than your wheels are too big for your tires, and perhaps the subjective view of what's rough and what's not. But even then, you should have found the stock ride rough if you think RC 2.2 coil lift is rough.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default lift and tires

I have read these postings and they are right - $3000 is not a lot for a lift, tires, and rims. I spent over $3000 on tires and rims alone.

Quick Reply: I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country