Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country

Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
So what you are saying take the tire off the 20 and drive and you will see how rough the ride is

Wouldn't any wheel with no tire feel the same , or 20 just a magic wheel that would ride like crap with no tire
I'm saying that there is less tire sidewall on a 35" tire mounted on a 20" wheel, comparing to the same size tire mounted on a smaller wheel, say 15" or 16". Since the bigger wheel will require a tire with less sidewall, it will make the ride rougher than a tire mounted on a smaller wheel. The tire itself acts as a shock absorber, and aids in softening the ride.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

My '09 JKU had a 4 inch lift. Had to change the shocks as well. Went from Rubicon Express to Bilsteins. Big difference...better ride, more stability.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
I'm saying that there is less tire sidewall on a 35" tire mounted on a 20" wheel, comparing to the same size tire mounted on a smaller wheel, say 15" or 16". Since the bigger wheel will require a tire with less sidewall, it will make the ride rougher than a tire mounted on a smaller wheel. The tire itself acts as a shock absorber, and aids in softening the ride.
I know what you are trying to say but you are thinking of it wrong you are trying to compare a 35 on a 20 to 35 on 17 you can't do that because there is 2 different size wheels

35 on a 20 is = to 31 on a 17
37 on a 20 is = to 33 on a 17

All you thought about was tire size I was talking about how much side wall there is

If the op said he had 31 on 17 what would you have said then
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
I know what you are trying to say but you are thinking of it wrong you are trying to compare a 35 on a 20 to 35 on 17 you can't do that because there is 2 different size wheels

35 on a 20 is = to 31 on a 17
37 on a 20 is = to 33 on a 17

All you thought about was tire size I was talking about how much side wall there is

If the op said he had 31 on 17 what would you have said then
Umh, I don't know what else to say to you. I'll try 1 more time: bigger wheel/same tire size = less sidewall. Smaller wheel/same tire size = more sidewall. More sidewall = softer ride. Less sidewall = stiffer ride. His large wheels (20") give him a stiffer ride over a smaller wheel with same tire and tire size.

I never knew simple logic was so hard to understand
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TReuter
The tire pressure is 36#'s don't think thats the issue for how rough it is. Also if I'm not mistaken its the newer kit I think it has the 2.2 shocks. So y'all think if I go with piggy back style shocks that will improve the ride without changing coils

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the 2.2 are the older shocks (much stiffer from what I've read around). the newer shocks have a designation of N2.0. as seen on the series II lifts.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Well thanks I appreciate y'alls input. Now just got to decide what shocks to go with.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TReuter
Well thanks I appreciate y'alls input. Now just got to decide what shocks to go with.
I have the same issue... shocks are the most probable cause. I have the same kit on an unlimited running 315/70/17 D rated tires at 28 psi and still drives like crap. As someone mentioned earlier, get a set of Bilsteins and your spine may thank you for it
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

I run the 2.5 coil kit with their shocks and have no complaints. With 35's on 15" rims, ride quality on my '12 JKU is the same as it was off the dealer's lot.

As others have said, the stiffer sidewall on your tires may be the root of the cause.

Bilsteins have solved ride quality issues for me in the past, but for now I am completely content with my RC kit.

Bottom line is, if you want a cushy ride, buy a Cadillac
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lift

I have a 3" daystar lift - coil spacers on factory springs with dastar scorpion shocks. I love my lift and it rides great.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zpike00eb
I run the 2.5 coil kit with their shocks and have no complaints. With 35's on 15" rims, ride quality on my '12 JKU is the same as it was off the dealer's lot.

As others have said, the stiffer sidewall on your tires may be the root of the cause.

Bilsteins have solved ride quality issues for me in the past, but for now I am completely content with my RC kit.

Bottom line is, if you want a cushy ride, buy a Cadillac
Bottom line when I spend $38000 dollars on a vehicle and another $3000 on lift wheels and tires I dont expect to drive a tank so if your insinuating that I need to quit crying. Maybe
I expect more for my money

Quick Reply: I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country