Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country

Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TReuter
After reading a few posts I decided to go with the 2.5" coil and shock Rough Country lift for my 2012 Unlimited. For what I do thats all I needed and I got a good deal on lift and install. First impressions it looked good on 20's with 35's. When I got in it I figured it might take a few "miles" to break in so I didn't complain just yet. After 2,000 miles its just like the name ROUGH. When I hit a good bump or even a medium bump it hits hard and bounces all over the place.Oh I do have dual stabilizer too. I'm not expecting a stock ride this is not my first lift but dang. After the lift I now have things in the cab vibrating little squeeks here and there from the jarring of bumps. Just all in all very disappointed. Question, is it the coils and shocks or if I went to a better shock would that help without replacing the coils. Wanted to try that before I went and bought a new lift. Thanks for any input.
I was unhappy with my RC 2.5 ride quality on and off road as well. Great price, but I learned you get what you pay for. The RC coils are a pretty stiff ride, the upside is they take a lot of weight to sag. I pulled the Rc 2.2 shocks and put on Bilstein 5100's, made a huge difference. Ride feel and quality is obviously pretty subjective to the driver, but the B 5100's for me made a huge improvement. Mine being a 2dr, was extra rough with RC.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm ordering this kit, but they are keeping their shocks.... Honestly havnt heard a whole lot of good about their shocks at all.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the RC 3.25 on my buds black ops jku and he came back saying that HIS WIFE said the ride was a bit rough too. I have the RC BB 2.5 it came with relocation brackets so obviously I used the same shocks. when i busted the front stock shocks I went with the SKYJACKER HYDRO SOFTRIDE and the ride a lot softer than before. And plus I got shocks that were a bit longer too. Oh I forgot to add they were a good price from 4 wheel parts

Last edited by cis911; 08-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

The tire pressure is 36#'s don't think thats the issue for how rough it is. Also if I'm not mistaken its the newer kit I think it has the 2.2 shocks. So y'all think if I go with piggy back style shocks that will improve the ride without changing coils
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Not even piggyback. Just better ones.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

The tire pressure is 36#'s don't think thats the issue for how rough it is. Also if I'm not mistaken its the newer kit I think it has the 2.2 shocks. So y'all think if I go with piggy back style shocks that will improve the ride without changing coils
36 psi in e rated tire is a lot that why I ask what tires you have , but like most people start saying onething and off they go to throw money and then find out it was something else

My friend has the same lift kit rides great but he has d rated tires

Shocks will always help anyways , so there is no harm in getting them but when you ride is still a little to hard you will check the tires then

Last edited by jaker t5; 08-22-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

Attachment 356907
So what you are saying take the tire off the 20 and drive and you will see how rough the ride is

Wouldn't any wheel with no tire feel the same , or 20 just a magic wheel that would ride like crap with no tire
Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rough country shocks aren't shocks. Theyre over sized steering stabilizers at best. The jeep actually makes those shocks compress and decompress unlike a normal shock. If you compress a normal shock it'll decompress on its own unlike the rough country where you would have to decompress it by pulling it out. Junk
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running the Federal Couragia load range E and I like this tire
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm running the Federal Couragia load range E and I like this tire
drop them down to 28 psi , it will help some but not competly fix it , but it will help till you are able to get some new shocks

i only run 36 when i am going on long drives on the freeway

36 for a e tire that is a 35x12.50x20 is a lot of air

Quick Reply: I Regret the 2.5" Rough Country