Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I received my gears and front ring is chipped, advice pls.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I received my gears and front ring is chipped, advice pls.

I received my gears today and after inspection, the ring gear for my front axle has a small chip but the rear axle ring and pinion look perfect. I just want to be sure but can I go ahead and do the rear install and just remove the front drive shaft until the front replacement comes in?

Last edited by MFX; 03-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as you don't engage 4 wheel drive, it will be fine.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, Don't install the front drive shaft until the gear ratio's match.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
As long as you don't engage 4 wheel drive, it will be fine.
This^^. You can run two different ratios but not engaging 4wd is key. Some people remove the front driveshaft to make it "oops"-proof.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
This^^. You can run two different ratios but not engaging 4wd is key. Some people remove the front driveshaft to make it "oops"-proof.
Still not "oops" proof if you forget and try to engage 4wd on the move.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Still not "oops" proof if you forget and try to engage 4wd on the move.

Can you explain? With the front drive shaft removed I can't see what could happen if you shifted into 4wd other than the front wheels not pulling.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Twinkydog
Can you explain? With the front drive shaft removed I can't see what could happen if you shifted into 4wd other than the front wheels not pulling.
The front half of the t-case will not be spinning.
It would be like in the old days if you tried to go into 4wd on the fly with the hubs unlocked.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The front half of the t-case will not be spinning.
It would be like in the old days if you tried to go into 4wd on the fly with the hubs unlocked.

Ah, so the gears in the front would be stationary while the rears would be spinning. Much grinding.

Last edited by Twinkydog; 03-17-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Twinkydog
Ah, so the gears wouldn't synchronize and engage? Depending on luck a lot of grinding might ensue?
It would not be synchronized. You would be trying to engage splines that are spinning to splines that are not spinning.

On the early XJs with the front axle vacuum disconnect the front drive shaft would not spin in 2wd. There was a synchro in the t-case that would spin-up the drive shaft with the initial attempt to go into 4wd. I would pull up on the lever and keep a little pressure on it, then it would drop into 4wd. Once engaged, the vacuum actuator on the front axle would engage the axle halves together.

Looking at the service manual for the JK t-case, I don't see anything that would be considered a synchronizer.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-17-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would not be synchronized. You would be trying to engage splines that are spinning to splines that are not spinning.

On the early XJs with the front axle vacuum disconnect the front drive shaft would not spin in 2wd. There was a synchro in the t-case that would spin-up the drive shaft with the initial attempt to go into 4wd. I would pull up on the lever and keep a little pressure on it, then it would drop into 4wd. Once engaged, the vacuum actuator on the front axle would engage the axle halves together.

Looking at the service manual for the JK t-case, I don't see anything that would be considered a synchronizer.

Your reply was way too fast you quoted me before I edited it. Thanks man, I learned something today!

Quick Reply: I received my gears and front ring is chipped, advice pls.