Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need your help!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The noise knew you got advice from me so it went away. It knew you'd find it.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, here's the deal. everytime i get in my jeep for the first time (aka cold) I still hear the noise very loud.. (over radio) It does it the first couple times i accelerate. From my housr it does it down alley, turn curner, turn another corner then i drive a few blocks and the noise won't come back... once everything is warmed up i guess.. Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davebloomer
ok, here's the deal. everytime i get in my jeep for the first time (aka cold) I still hear the noise very loud.. (over radio) It does it the first couple times i accelerate. From my housr it does it down alley, turn curner, turn another corner then i drive a few blocks and the noise won't come back... once everything is warmed up i guess.. Any ideas?
Yeah. I gave you one. Did you do it?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yeah. I gave you one. Did you do it?
I overlooked yours. I will try it here in a bit when the wife gets home..

thanks buddy.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine harmonics are very different when the engine is cold. It runs rougher, until the fluids get heated up. Oil is very thick when it's cold and doesn't move as freely where it needs to go at this time. The warmer it gets, the thinner it gets. This thickness in the oil makes the engine run rougher and probably is what's causing the noise. Extra engine vibrations making something else rattle. Redneck's advise is a good starting point to locating the rattle!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

ok, i tried redneckjeeps' advice and i still can't find it. Still does it only when tires are spinning.. it really sounds like someone thumbing a deck of cards.. does it @ 2600 rpm's and seems to be a lot louder and longer while turning and accelerating...

Also... i can let the engine warm for 20 minutes and it still does the same thing until i've driven a while..

frusteration has more than set in.

Last edited by davebloomer; 01-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i tried redneckjeeps' advice and i still can't find it. Still does it only when tires are spinning.. it really sounds like someone thumbing a deck of cards.. does it @ 2600 rpm's and seems to be a lot louder and longer while turning and accelerating...

Also... i can let the engine warm for 20 minutes and it still does the same thing until i've driven a while..

frusteration has more than set in.
Now that's just lame! Looks like you may have to visit the stealership!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKBully
Now that's just lame! Looks like you may have to visit the stealership!
indeed. I have an appointment for monday. get that broken seatbelt fixed too.

Quick Reply: I need your help!