Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need your help!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need your help!

Ok, I'm getting a rattling noise on acceleration. I thought it was going to be my driveshaft so i pulled the front one still got the noise. reinstalled it and Pulled the rear and still got the noise. it only does it when i accelerate pretty aggressivly. does not make the noise when revving engine in park or neutral. Also does not seem to make the noise when aggressivly accelerating in reverse... im pretty lost any ideas?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davebloomer
Ok, I'm getting a rattling noise on acceleration. I thought it was going to be my driveshaft so i pulled the front one still got the noise. reinstalled it and Pulled the rear and still got the noise. it only does it when i accelerate pretty aggressivly. does not make the noise when revving engine in park or neutral. Also does not seem to make the noise when aggressivly accelerating in reverse... im pretty lost any ideas?

Is it gear specific or just in one gear?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

i only hear it between 5-10 mph in first... Its an auto so i dont have a way to see if it does it in other gears.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it is a heat shield or a rock in a heat shield or something along that line.. It will only happen if i gas it from a stop. I think the body roll from the torque provided at that low speed has a lot to do with it. I'm going to the dealership monday to get a new seatbelt put in so i will show them this also.

Moral of this story... don't park your jeep for 2 months thinking the driveshafts are bad if you don't know for sure. Oh the midwest forum runs i've missed out on for nothing.. but the good news is i dont have 1000 on shafts yet.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davebloomer
I get this on hard acceleration, like onto the highway or something. It happens in all gears(6spd) at about 3k rpm. I figured it was the heat shield over the tranny/transfer case under the body. I may have the stealership look at it, too. Keep us posted, please!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

DO you have any skid plates that may be rattleing or heat from the exhaust causing a noise from the skids.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, pull the parking brake up REAL good, block the rear wheels GOOD. Have someone get in and drop it in drive. Let them "stall test" it. In other words, bring the throttle up slowly while in drive while you listen under the hood and under the Jeep. I bet you'll find it.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Dave - You keeping the JK now? I thought you had it sold a couple of weeks ago...

If you're keeping it, we'll see you around this summer on some of the runs!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

well, the noise went away. I've driven all over town and cant make it happen. when it was making the noise before It did it every time. so.... I Fixed IT!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Good Job Dave ..... We knew you could do it ; cause we have confidence in you !!!!

How you been buddy ; just pullin your chain !!!!

Quick Reply: I need your help!