Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need a straight answer

Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are alot of great systems out there and alot of opinions, but for what youre describing i'd go with the AEV kit. That kit uses brackets to correct geometry so it may not be the best for rock crawling, which is the reason some prefer to go with adjustable arms, etc. But It's a good all around lift that will correct all geometry issues and ride well. You may still need to change out your front drive shaft on a 2012 (not sure about that though).

Keep in mind, that beyond the lift, you will likely need to get a tire carrier that can handle the weight of the larger spare (for 35" and larger tires) as well. And, you'll need new rims with at least 4.5" backspacing to prevent rubbing at full turn.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took advantage of the rancho deal and ordered the new 4" sport suspension for my 2011JKU. It only recommended a new drive shaft on 2012's so I'm a bit concerned now. I guess I should have researched more first? Although I thought I did? Not that new drive shafts aren't doable, they aren't gonna be very soon $$. should I wait to install my new kit?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

AEV...... It handles on the road, so much better than stock!!! I spend at least 75% of my travels on hard surfaces and it's hard to describe the improvement on higher speeds on the highway and interstate. With the the wheeling I do I have not sacrificed by choosing AEV!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJM12
I just took advantage of the rancho deal and ordered the new 4" sport suspension for my 2011JKU. It only recommended a new drive shaft on 2012's so I'm a bit concerned now. I guess I should have researched more first? Although I thought I did? Not that new drive shafts aren't doable, they aren't gonna be very soon $$. should I wait to install my new kit?
I would wait.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopezv123

I would wait.
I second this
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
You don't have to wait until you get your driveshaft, you have issues if you are an auto AND disconnect and that's not even 100% of the time. So instal your lift and you can wait to wheel if you're that worried about it until you get your driveshaft
Old 05-26-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20

While people love this lift, I wouldn't call it "complete". The drop arm brackets are just a different way of dealing with the geometry issue. Other lifts like Ful Traction, Rock Kralwer and Teraflex have kits that come with all adjustable control arms which do the same thing...but better in a ot of people's eyes.

With a 4" lift you want a kit (or additional components if the kit doesn;t come with it) that has coils, shocks, adjustable track bars both front and rear, adjustable control arms (minimum front lowers and rear uppers but all 8 is "complete"), sway links, extended brake lines, bumpstops and possibly some steering adjustments like a drag link flip (to help with bump steer). You will also need front and rear driveshafts at some point. 4 doors need front drive shaft and 2 doors need rear. Its best to get both.

So, that should be it. I recently did mine using the RK X-Factor which came with the track bars, coils, sway links, brake lines and all 8 control arms. I added Bilstein shocks, teraflex bumstops, coast front and rear driveshafts. Haven;t done a drag link flip yet but I'm considering it or something similar. Total cost for everything was around $2,700 or so. About 900 of that were the driveshafts. The AEV kit will run you the same as the RK kit but the AEV does come with shocks. That puts the RK kit about $350 more expensive, however, you get all adjustable control arms which, to me, is huge.
Everyone has their opinions, what a lot of people overlook with the aev correction brackets and the reason that your jeep won't ride like a tank after you install this lift is because these brackets lower the rear of the front control arms to basically give you the ride of a long arm kit. It handles bumps, potholes etc. better because the control arms aren't on such a steep angles as they would be with adjustables. Everyone likes different things, but why mess with adjusting in the first place if you can bolt something up and forget about it. For me it was the best of both worlds, sure adjustables look and sound like the best route, but it all comes down to the angle of the control arms that affects ride quality. IMO, the aev is the best for on and off road performance, but of course this depends on the type and amount of offroading you do. I go about once a month on a mix of trails, rocky sections etc. and couldn't be more satisfied with all around performance. To each his own, the only things I bought in addition to the lift were disconnects and front driveshaft (four door). Everything else is taken care of with aev kit, hi steer kit, track bar, drag link, and not to mention procal, which saves $300+ right there for another programmer, while it doesnt "tune" it corrects everything else.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atch

You don't have to wait until you get your driveshaft, you have issues if you are an auto AND disconnect and that's not even 100% of the time. So instal your lift and you can wait to wheel if you're that worried about it until you get your driveshaft
Yeah, I did some more research and discovered it is more of an issue with automatics so hopefully it will all work out! I'm pretty excited because I'm going from a 2" budget boost to this 4". I just hope my 33's don't look silly with it, it will be awhile before I an go 35's. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
Go with the AEV 3.5" for 35's or 4.5" for 37's. It is the most complete kit you can find and the handling is awesome. I would not have believed it had I not put one on my 2012 JKRU. The kit comes with everything you need and there is nothing else to buy.
X2. I love my 3.5 inch AEV lift and it handles great on and off road. the othe lift I was looking at was one from TeraFlex but I liked every thing that came with the AEV kit more and thought their was a better value in the AEV
Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses people thats what I was looking for. I knew I was going to have to get a front drive shaft. I was more concerned about a complete kit that had everything I needed from the get go.The only trails it will see are my hunting trails and the beach and it sounds like the AEV kit is the one I'll be looking at. If there is anything else don't hesitate to input. Thanks

Last edited by TReuter; 05-26-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: I need a straight answer