Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need a straight answer

Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a straight answer

I've tried looking but everyone is different. On a 3.5 to 4" what is a complete package or what components should I have? Now I'm just wanting a basic not a mud national or rock climbing lift but I want to make sure it has everything I'll need. I don't want to piece it together over time. I want to know what components I absolutely have to have. By the way its a 2012 4DR SAHARA
Old 05-25-2012, 11:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a reason that there is no one single answer to your question. If you ask "what can I get away with as the bare minimum?" or "what do I need to have a comfortable average offroading jeep?" Etc, then you may bet more complete answers.

I assume that you want a coil lift and not a body lift. So for a comfortable offroading jeep without anything too special you want to look at: Coils, shocks, front swaybars links (or quick disconnects), rear swaybars links, front lower control arms (not necessary, but it makes adjusting the flightiness of the new ride height easier), front and rear adjustable track bars or brackets. Also you may need a front driveshaft (the 3.8 engine did for the 4 doors after about 3 inches of lift) and/or a spacer for your exhaust that I have seen the 2012's talk about. After all that you can look at bump stops, upper front arms, rear upper and lower arms, steering components, etc.

Last edited by remark; 05-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remark is right and u do not want to go with track bar brackets I promise get adj track bars especially for the front. With that much lift u will need a new front driveshaft. Your rear prob won't last long either so just in driveshafts ur looking at $1000. You will need adj front lower control arms and adj rear upper arms or your stock drive shaft will not last a month after the lift due to the pinion angle being so far off. These are are not needed to make it a mud truck or rock crawler but are needed to make ur jeep driveable after that much lift.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TReuter
I've tried looking but everyone is different. On a 3.5 to 4" what is a complete package or what components should I have? Now I'm just wanting a basic not a mud national or rock climbing lift but I want to make sure it has everything I'll need. I don't want to piece it together over time. I want to know what components I absolutely have to have. By the way its a 2012 4DR SAHARA
Go with the AEV 3.5" for 35's or 4.5" for 37's. It is the most complete kit you can find and the handling is awesome. I would not have believed it had I not put one on my 2012 JKRU. The kit comes with everything you need and there is nothing else to buy.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bdmckenna

Go with the AEV 3.5" for 35's or 4.5" for 37's. It is the most complete kit you can find and the handling is awesome. I would not have believed it had I not put one on my 2012 JKRU. The kit comes with everything you need and there is nothing else to buy.
X2...put this on mine and couldnt be happier
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Remark is right and u do not want to go with track bar brackets I promise get adj track bars especially for the front. With that much lift u will need a new front driveshaft. Your rear prob won't last long either so just in driveshafts ur looking at $1000. You will need adj front lower control arms and adj rear upper arms or your stock drive shaft will not last a month after the lift due to the pinion angle being so far off. These are are not needed to make it a mud truck or rock crawler but are needed to make ur jeep driveable after that much lift.
If you want the best handling, for 3+ inches of lift you definitely want to go with track bar brackets (axle mounted)... you need these to correct your roll center due to the lift and get it back to stock geometry. The rear track bar has a greater affect on your body roll too, so its good to have a raised/relocated bracket on that as well. You also need to do the draglink flip so that your steering geometry is parallel with your trackbar. When the trackbar and draglink geometry dont match, you get bump steer. You can get by with non-adjustable track bars, but it is better to have an adjustable so that you can center your axle properly.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

+ dropped pitman arm and steering stabilizer
Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Everyone likes to say that you need new driveshafts when you lift your jeep. I have about 12k miles on my front driveshaft after my 3" lift and my driveshaft is fine. Will it fail eventually, maybe, but until it does i dont see the point of a new one. You will not see lifts causing failure on the rear drive shaft on a 4 door but it is probable on a 2 door.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

My neighbor has had his 2012 Rubicon with 4" lift on for 5 months now. It's the basic 4" Rough Country lift. Nothing else added, and it's been riding just fine. He's even so cheap as to be hauling a heavy ass 35" tire and 18" wheel on the stock tire carrier.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
You still need to replace the drive shafts on a two door though, yes?

Matthew

Quick Reply: I need a straight answer