Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need some tire advice

Old 03-16-2012, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some tire advice

I'm torn between 3 tires and I'd like some opinions from people who have used any of these 3.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
General Tires Grabber AT2

They'll be 33x12.50R15 if that makes a difference
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depends on what you want to use the Jeep for.... BFG AT's are not the best at clearing mud, but are a champ on the street and wear like steel. Why aren't KM2's on your list? Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Goodyear takes forever to replace a tire if you end up needing one under warranty. Sometimes getting them new takes forever unless the place just has them in stock. BFG AT's have been around forever and proven time and time again they are a great AT tire.
You can't go wrong with any of them just depends on what you like. I think for an AT tire all 3 are fairly decent. I am looking at the Red letters from General for mine just to try a different tire this go around.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

I've had duratracs before and I can tell you that they really are a great all around tire. They are light weight and have decent wear, BUT they run small for their size and their side wall isn't the greatest for puncture resistance.

BFGs are great for mild off roading and have nice street manners. I will second the previous comment on the fact that they wear like steel. You will see some people replace them due to age before wear. However, these are a heavy tire. But with weight comes protection against puncture

I've never ran the grabber, but I hear they are a great trail / desert tire. Haven't seen many JKs (or wranglers in general) running them though.

Any thoughts about Nitto or Toyo? Just curious what your deciding factor on these specific three tires are.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had some BFG's on my Titan. Must have put 60K on them and they were still in pretty good shape (Sold them for $300 to a guy who needed them to play on the trails). They were great tires and look good. Haven't tried the others.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

I run Goodyear Duratracs and they wear like iron, balance well and the offroad traction is second to none.They are an approved winter tire so they work very well on road also in all weather rain traction is the best I have ever had.
BFG A/T may wear like iron but do not balance well at all
Generals I have not used or worked with so I won't claim anything on them.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

My main reason for choosing between those 3 is the price, I've found each one of those for around $170 a tire online and I'm trying to get the best deal for the money.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to hi jack the thread, but i just came out of a local tire shop cause i wanted duratracs also , but the salesman said they wear fast. He told me that I wont get 40K miles out of them.

I'd like some practical advice as well, thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
-

All three are awesome all around, but I suggest the BFG.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I have BFG AT's in a 315/70/17 size. They are great on-road and handle the street very well. I have used them aired down to 15psi on packed trails, sand, gravel and deep snow and they did great. In mud, they plug up.

They don't do the best on sheer ice but on packed snow there is no better.

There are just two things i don't like about them; the side wall has no biters and they throw stones when driving on gravel roads.

I found them to be very light for a 35" tire (at least compared to some older generation mtr's) and mine balanced very well.

Because I ended up not driving my jeep as much as I hoped, I am replacing them with a mud tire, probably MTZ's

Quick Reply: I need some tire advice