Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need some help...

Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some help...

My jeep is acting funny lately. Every once in a while the traction control will go off and when I hit the brakes the pedal pulses. The brakes make a grinding sound. It sounds bad when it does it. What could cause this? I never had a truck do this. I had to take my steering stabilizer was off last night, because the rough country one slipped and was hitting the tie rod. I took it off and am putting factory one back on.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I'm not sure what could be causing this, the brake pedal pulsating and making the grinding sound is your ABS kicking on. Generally happens if you're in a slide. Is your steering wheel centered? What terrain were you driving on when this happened?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default brakes

check your brake pad and rotors
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Although I'm not sure what could be causing this, the brake pedal pulsating and making the grinding sound is your ABS kicking on. Generally happens if you're in a slide. Is your steering wheel centered? What terrain were you driving on when this happened?
It was on pavement that was kinda rough and angled. I don't have a stabilizer on there right now. Traction control was going off. You think that might be the problem. It don't sound good. LOL I thought I had broke something. Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna put my factory stabilizer on tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi

Lack of a stabilizer should not make your Traction Control/ABS go off. You'll just feel bump steer more without it than with [more of a nuisance or an annoyance than a problem]. I had my ESP/BAS light come on when my steering wheel was off center, but I don't think my ABS kicked in at any time. Only time I felt ABS and the pulsating was when my wheels were starting to slip, usually when in a turn.

You may have something else that might be causing it.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Defintely check your pads and rotors. Big time pricey to change rotors if they lose too much metal.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies. I will have to check pads and rotors then. 30k miles hopefully they are not gone. I called myself having steering wheel straight. I might take it to a place and get everything aligned. At least I know I didn't break nothing.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Check steering wheel i'll bet it is not straight. Mine did the exact same thing after puting lift on and once i straighten steering wheel it has been fine. Just need to adjust the drag link.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Alright fellas.. I got my stabilizer flipped around and back on. The steering now tighter. I still have a clunk in the front steering when I drive it. I was feeling around under there and happened to grab the pitman arm. It has a little up and down play in it. Not much but there is a little play in it. Is that where my clunk is coming from? Should I try to tighten it up more? I tightened the hell out of my steering stabilizer. Hopefully it want roll on me again. The steering is centered and I don't seem to have traction control issues no more.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

I broke the welds on my steering bracket, but did not know immediatly, when I would turn the steering wheel I would hear this "cracking" sound for several weeks. Then one day while going down the street at about 50 the bracket broke loose and the left front wheel was wobbling like crazy and I almost llost controll.

Make sure that your welds are good on your axle.

I also had issues when my steering wheel was not centered, check that like the otheers are saying.

Quick Reply: I need some help...