Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need a shock education...

Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a shock education...

I have seen and read all kinds of posts about different shocks.

- Is this a good shock?
- Is a gas shock better ?
- Blisteins vs OME....etc

None of them say what you should look for or what the difference is between them. What should I look for in a shock? My Jeep sees 90% street and 10% offroad....I want it to perform well on both. We have allot of washboard roads here in Baltimore.....what is the best shock for a decent ride on these?

Sorry for all the questions....but I am shock stupid and need new ones.

With prices running from $30 to $180 a piece, I don't want to spend $400 to find out I would get a better ride with a $40 shock.....Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the rancho 9000. If you dont need them now wait till they have their buy 3 get 1 free sales.

the 9000 are adjustable, you can find the ride you like and adjust down for slow crawling.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I have seen and read all kinds of posts about different shocks.

- Is this a good shock?
- Is a gas shock better ?
- Blisteins vs OME....etc

None of them say what you should look for or what the difference is between them. What should I look for in a shock? My Jeep sees 90% street and 10% offroad....I want it to perform well on both. We have allot of washboard roads here in Baltimore.....what is the best shock for a decent ride on these?

Sorry for all the questions....but I am shock stupid and need new ones.

With prices running from $30 to $180 a piece, I don't want to spend $400 to find out I would get a better ride with a $40 shock.....Thanks
I know first hand that the OME shocks are very nice, however I don't know about the longevity yet. Never tried the Bilsteins for a JK, but they are the probably the longest lasting shock I've ever seen. I work for a GM dealer and quite a few trucks have Bilsteins from the factory. We pretty much never sell these shocks because they just don't go bad and last around 100K pretty consistently and alot of times quite a bit longer. With Bilstein you're paying alot for the name, but they always make an awesome product. The OME shock will probably have a little softer ride but that's not always what everyone wants. Something that's of mono tube design is generally a higher end shock and will last you longer. Basically all you're doing with a shock is dampening the spring oscillations and the valving inside the shock determines the rate at which it dampens. They got crazy stuff too like on the corvettes they use and electro-viscous fluid inside the strut and by sending different currents to the fluid, they can change the viscosity of it and make it softer or stiffer depending on the conditions while you're driving. With shocks, it's all your preference
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, the rancho 9000x's are adjustable and they are very affordable. i have run a set in the past and was pleased to find that with some experimentation, you could find a setting that will give you the kind of ride you want. of course, for off road use, you can change it again to meet your needs there as well. if you don't want the hassel, OME shocks are hard to beat.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Heng'n out
I like the rancho 9000. If you dont need them now wait till they have their buy 3 get 1 free sales.

the 9000 are adjustable, you can find the ride you like and adjust down for slow crawling.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have rusty's and they ride like stock!

Red
Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rancho
this ad pisses me off so much I won't ever buy them.
Who in their right mind would buy 3 shocks? You gotta buy 4, so what the ad should say is, buy 3 and get 1/2 on the fourth. I hate misleading ads!

thanks for the thread, I was thinking of going OME, and this had made the decision for me.

Kurt
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Um, read slower...

Buy TWO, get a rebate of 1/2 the cost of one.

Do that twice, and it is four. The end result is the same as buy 3, get one free.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kurtfriedrich
this ad pisses me off so much I won't ever buy them.
Who in their right mind would buy 3 shocks? You gotta buy 4, so what the ad should say is, buy 3 and get 1/2 on the fourth. I hate misleading ads!

thanks for the thread, I was thinking of going OME, and this had made the decision for me.

Kurt
Kurt, you better reread the ad. I think it says you get 50% rebate on the second shock. So if you buy four you'll get a rebate for the full price of the 4th shock. That said, I have to agree with you on this gimmicky crapola, its done on tires, brakes, and fishing lures as well and I hate it too.

Just give me 25% off on whatever quanitity I buy thank you very much.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

OK Rancho shock guy, here's a chance to strut your stuff. No goblygook please.

We all know there are 50/50's, 90/10 uplocks, 10/90's, 40/60's, 60/40's and all have their various advantages. then add to the mix gases, oil's, mixtures of both, the disadvantages of some shocks that collapse under duress like on long washboard roads, some collapse early in the game and so on.

So like the OP said, hows about a tutor of shocks for 4wheeling with coils? What is the difference in shocks for coils and leaf springs. How does diameter make a difference? Why use a shock resevoir?

How about helping us all out? EH? Help us and see just how much that will really help your sales, or not.

Quick Reply: I need a shock education...