Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need a new clutch...Aftermarket or general replacement?

Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new clutch...Aftermarket or general replacement?

Hey guys,

I need some input...My clutch is gone and needs to be replaced. First off, I don't take my JK rock crawling or anything hardcore, just the normal mudding once in awhile and towing my boat.

Should I bother and get a SPEC clutch or one I can get at NAPA for daily driving?

Note: Clutch got burned out from letting friends drive it....

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had over 100,000 miles on my original clutch before I swapped in a new transmission about a week ago for an unrelated problem. Needless to say, the factory clutch seemed to do the job well for me and it's what I might recommend again.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have always liked centerforce clutches, but they are firmer and some may not like that. They do have more holding power than stock and would be great for towing
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not try for warranty first and if thats a no go think about spring over a diaphragm pressure plate style if they have them, because of rotating mass ( more weight ) and initial torc for the mud and rocks, just something to think about.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Why not try for warranty first and if thats a no go think about spring over a diaphragm pressure plate style if they have them, because of rotating mass ( more weight ) and initial torc for the mud and rocks, just something to think about.
Chrysler Corp. will not warranty a clutch.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Chrysler Corp. will not warranty a clutch.
normally your right, but if it's a bad product from the factory ( like bad throwout bearing ) they will, so it wont hurt to give it a try
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normally your right, but if it's a bad product from the factory ( like bad throwout bearing ) they will, so it wont hurt to give it a try

Yeah I was thinking about trying that route but "MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME" because of "USER ABUSE".

Looks like im leaning toward the stock option because it seems more practical and I can save for regearing. Is it recommend that I replace all the clutch parts like it would come as a package that centerforce or spec would offer?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throwout bearing is not the clutch and the OP specifically said his friend burnt up the clutch.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Throwout bearing is not the clutch and the OP specifically said his friend burnt up the clutch.
I see you like to argue I don't, and just to inform you a Throwout bearing can seize on the Throwout bearing shaft keeping the pressure plate from applying full pressure burning the clutch disc, have fun arguing I'm out of here !
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out LUK clutches. I put mine in a few months ago. Light pedal pressure and grabs outstanding. You can get the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing for under $200 bucks. And if you are going to take the time to replace the clutch do all the parts I mentioned. It can save you in the long run. You also will probably want to resurface the flywheel while you are at it. It's cheap and recommended.

Quick Reply: I need a new clutch...Aftermarket or general replacement?