Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need held deciding!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i am relatively new to owning a jk I have had a yj in the past. My thing is I wanna get the jeep ready for summer soon. I have about 800 to spend of free cash. However i can't make a choice on what I want to get. I was thinking either a Bikini/ cargo windjammer kit with the wrap around wind jammer from best top or full soft doors. At the moment i have a 2012 sport auto with full hard doors and sunrider soft top. I use the rig for daily driving of a commute of over 60 miles per day. So should I swap top? Change to full soft doors, and if so what is the best products people have like on the market for the jk?

Thank you for all the help!

Steve

Last edited by Jeepsg2012; 02-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

The question is, what look are you looking for in your build. Do you plan on lifting it, or keep it stock and just do cosmetic modifications?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. I agree. Too broad of a topic.

For me $800 would turn into a rock krawler 2.5 stock mod lift and a set of bilstein shocks.

The little mods are great too. Grab handles, mirror relocation brackets, slush mats, bikini tops, etc...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Just cosmetic right now. No lift or bigger tired till I wear out what I got right now. I just wanna know what the best would be for summer crusing back roads. Like I said it is a daily driver. Lifts off road bumpers etc will be later in the future.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 800$ well spent

Originally Posted by Jeepsg2012
Just cosmetic right now. No lift or bigger tired till I wear out what I got right now. I just wanna know what the best would be for summer crusing back roads. Like I said it is a daily driver. Lifts off road bumpers etc will be later in the future.
If I had only $800 dollars to spend right now, I would get a good winch and modify the factory bumper to accept one. There is a article a guy wrote where he removed the plastic cover added a winch and I think he added a bull bar it turned out pretty kick ass looking, and pretty cheap. A good winch will last a long time and it will keep even lite offroading trips from becoming a nightmare. I know everyone wants tires and lifts first but once you are stuck you are stuck big or small tires. Check out Camel trophy trucks not extremely big tires but they all have a winch.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you wanna have some urban fun for the summertime. Here's what I would spend some money on:
Body Armour trail doors. These things give you the feeling of being all out there, but still give you the safe, I'm not gonna fall out, feeling. Around $300.00
Hypertech programmer-the change in throttle response is night & day. You will definately be able to appreciate the performance gains you get, I'm sure driving 60 miles per day this would be a must.
$379.99 ( I have an extra one that came with my supercharger. I'd take $250.00 shipped, brand new & recently updated)
CRES net. This would still leave your jeep open, but also provide a closed off look.
$100.00
That would be a good, inexpensive way to start the summer out, & still leave some extra cash the buy some fun stuff like grab, handles or a locking tuffy glove box. Plus all that will stay with you, when/if your ready to lift & build it for offroad.
Windjammer & that stuff are too closed off. If I wanted that I'd put my top & doors on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2933292775.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	426157   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4086115664.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	426158  
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDH475
If I had only $800 dollars to spend right now, I would get a good winch and modify the factory bumper to accept one.
lmao. Good advice....

The question is, are you okay getting wet?

imo there are no good options for soft doors. I typically keep an eye on the weather. If it's dry, I drop the doors and bring a trail cover. Though I have gotten caught in rain a good bit...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wow

Originally Posted by JKU2007
Sounds like you wanna have some urban fun for the summertime. Here's what I would spend some money on:
Body Armour trail doors. These things give you the feeling of being all out there, but still give you the safe, I'm not gonna fall out, feeling. Around $300.00
Hypertech programmer-the change in throttle response is night & day. You will definately be able to appreciate the performance gains you get, I'm sure driving 60 miles per day this would be a must.
$379.99 ( I have an extra one that came with my supercharger. I'd take $250.00 shipped, brand new & recently updated)
CRES net. This would still leave your jeep open, but also provide a closed off look.
$100.00
That would be a good, inexpensive way to start the summer out, & still leave some extra cash the buy some fun stuff like grab, handles or a locking tuffy glove box. Plus all that will stay with you, when/if your ready to lift & build it for offroad.
Windjammer & that stuff are too closed off. If I wanted that I'd put my top & doors on.
WOW the guy said he was on a limited budget none of those eye candy goodies will help him get further down a trail, Jeeps are pretty capable from the factory nothing ruins a weekend of exploring faster than getting stuck and having to call a towtruck back into the woods. Make mods that get you down the trail first. With a winch you can go with youre buddies without worrying about being a drag on the group & you will find youreself pulling out guys with bigger tires but no winch.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RDH475

WOW the guy said he was on a limited budget none of those eye candy goodies will help him get further down a trail, Jeeps are pretty capable from the factory nothing ruins a weekend of exploring faster than getting stuck and having to call a towtruck back into the woods. Make mods that get you down the trail first. With a winch you can go with youre buddies without worrying about being a drag on the group & you will find youreself pulling out guys with bigger tires but no winch.
A winch for $800????
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billbikes
A winch for $800????
Yes he could get a good winch, a winch tray, take the plastic off the front bumper, weld a bull bar or a stinger, presto lite bumper & winch & maybe a little left over cash.

Quick Reply: I need held deciding!