Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need gearing advice

Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well here its a year later and just finished 4 inch super lift and installed
4.56s front and rear and 35 km2s its amazing what one can save for when one wants it bad enough it looks pretty bad a so now though i see a lot of issues to address drive line rubs exhaust in the front and rear pinion angle agressive
then i have been finding articals about t cases exploding wow what did i do
and thens theres the whole convinceing the wifey i need more stuff some girls just dont understand any how what would you all reccomend first from here arms? drive lines ? i read an artical about tom woods drive shaft ?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start with:

How much actual height did you get from the lift?
Which components do you have installed?
What are your alignment specs?
Have you blown either driveshaft yet?
Auto or manual? 2door or 4door? (2door manual?)
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

i will be doing the alighnment at shop tommorow not sure how much height
over all its a superlift 4 inch sprin track bar lift and havent even driven it but ten feet from lift to alighment rack. should a guy do new arms then drivelines or does one have to come befor other i would suspect arms before shafts to chenge pinion angle ? thanks for ur reply
Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lift heights vary by mfg. Lots of posts from 2door guys saying close to 6" of actual lift from TF 4" coils. Some mfg's may be shorter than advertised. Just mentioned it because the actual height is one the factors that matters in the need for new shafts. 2" from your 4" coils, and shafts may not be an issue. 4", plan on the rear and start saving for the front. 6", have the money set aside for both.

For the ca's, start with front lowers for the caster correction (assuming you didn't have Cams installed with the lift???) Rear uppers would be good to have to set the pinion, but may not be needed until you actually replace that shaft. If you find that the rear axle is shifted too far forward after the lift, you will want both set of rear arms to move it back.

I would also suggest you rear "what is caster? how much do I need?" in the suspension faq's. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to read through the DIY alignment write-up so you know what is going on with the alignment numbers you get from them. (there is an index stickied to the top of the writeups area)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the advice its been a save and buy type project to get this far since the last thing i wanted was more debt..so picking the right stuff in the right
order is important. and after the line up today i will focus on rear first.it seems to have the most sever angles./ i am just lucky enough to have one of the best line uop guyd in the buisness in thre portland area at our shop. as for the front drive line rub i think im gonna have the cross over of the exhaust dropped about 1.5" it should be farely cheap and any extra clearence will help.you have any thoughts on rustys control arms they look noce especially the fronts. they seem a little more reasonable priced

Quick Reply: I need gearing advice