Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I need to drop my springs on my coilovers.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3345219834.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	531386 After I remove my coilovers for my jeep. How do I remove this piece so I can drop my springs?

Last edited by cuongdyna; 02-16-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor

You will need to loosen the perch on the opposite side of that picture. So follow the springs to the other end and you will see that the shock body is threaded. It will have what looks like two very large nuts which you will need to loosen with a spanner wrench. Once you do that the spring will float freely and you will be able to take off the perch that is slotted so you can remove your springs. Hope that made sense.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
You will need to loosen the perch on the opposite side of that picture. So follow the springs to the other end and you will see that the shock body is threaded. It will have what looks like two very large nuts which you will need to loosen with a spanner wrench. Once you do that the spring will float freely and you will be able to take off the perch that is slotted so you can remove your springs. Hope that made sense.
Thanks for the info
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

push up on that raised perch to compress the coils and slip it off the shaft. Don't know what he is talking about with the two nuts and spanner wrench? If you need to take tension of the coils you need to loosen the recessed hex screw and turn the top retainer counter clock wise.

The two large silver nuts on the threaded body are to set the limits on the second coil and have nothing to do with removing the coils or the bottom retainer.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
push up on that raised perch to compress the coils and slip it off the shaft. Don't know what he is talking about with the two nuts and spanner wrench? If you need to take tension of the coils you need to loosen the recessed hex screw and turn the top retainer counter clock wise.

The two large silver nuts on the threaded body are to set the limits on the second coil and have nothing to do with removing the coils or the bottom retainer.
I may not have used the correct terminology when I said nuts. I saw speaking about the retainers that are threaded onto to shock body.

This is what I was attempting to explain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ringseat_ringlock.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	531521
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
I may not have used the correct terminology when I said nuts. I saw speaking about the retainers that are threaded onto to shock body.

This is what I was attempting to explain.

Attachment 531521
made sense to me.. mine are the same way.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

King shocks do not uses those for the top retainer. What type of shocks are those on?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor

Fox and Bilstien both do.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cuongdyna
Yup, compress the spring and the slip the shaft through the opening allowing you to remove the spring.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

be careful they can be a nasty projectile. I swap out motorcycle springs and use a press and a plate with a hole in it to secure the shock. If you can find the correct coil compressor that would work too but hard to find a good one that small.

Quick Reply: I need to drop my springs on my coilovers.