Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I hear a BANG when i turn my steering wheel

Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear a BANG when i turn my steering wheel

My buddy and I installed his front axles on my jeep. My guess is that when we took off my steering wheel stabilizer from my old axles and placed it in the new ones we may have measured it out incorrectly. I got under my jeep and it seems like my Front Track bar is shifting (slightly and rapidly) when I hear the BANG. Every bolt is super tight so I don't know what it may be???

Please let me know what u all's thoughts r and thank u in advance.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Did you tighten all your bolts while the weight of the jeep was on it, or while the suspension was still hanging ?
I tightened it while it was hanging
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
You may have some binding.. it's preferable to snug everything up then lower the jeep and then torque all of your bars, shocks and such
I will do that.

I have one question, what do u mean by binding?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree with Echo. A lot of Death Wobble occurrences happen when the track bar is tightened in the air, as opposed to when the weight of the Jeep is on it on the ground. Looks like its time to get the torque wrench back out!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

U guys r awesome!!! I will try it and let u know if it works.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

I had driven the jeep back from my friends house about 18 miles and I heard nothing. Then suddenly I started hearing the bang.

Do u still think it may be the track bar? I will loan it anyways and tighter like u said but what r ur thoughts on drive for a while before hearing anything.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bingbola
Do u still think it may be the track bar? I will loan it anyways and tighter like u said but what r ur thoughts on drive for a while before hearing anything.
Just to be on the safe side, I would loosen and re-tighten everything to torque specs. It may not have been noisy yet...but its one of those situations where it's gonna be "when", not "if" it breaks.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Here are my thoughts on this... You have a wallowed out tracbar hole. When you loosened everything up and retorqued, you made everything nice and tight. But as a few miles went by, the wallowed out hole is not restraining the bolt and therefore movement of the trackbar.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Here are my thoughts on this... You have a wallowed out tracbar hole. When you loosened everything up and retorqued, you made everything nice and tight. But as a few miles went by, the wallowed out hole is not restraining the bolt and therefore movement of the trackbar.
What do u feel I should then do? How would I go about fixing it?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

You also might look at the angle of your steering stabilizer sits relative to the tie rod. I had this issue as well and when you turn the steering wheel, the tie rod is pushed forward by the steering stabilizer (rotation in the joints causing a clunk. Changing the angle at which the s.s. is mounted on the tie rod changes the angle and forward / backward rotation is reduced. This is specially relevant if did relocate the track bar / steering stabilizer mounting point.

Quick Reply: I hear a BANG when i turn my steering wheel