Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I Have A Dana 60 front axle, and rear 14 bolt already built need answers please

Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile I Have A Dana 60 front axle, and rear 14 bolt already built need answers please

Hey fellow forum members. I have a question or questions. I have a rear 14 bolt with locker and a front dana 60 with locker. They have special covers on them as well, that are supposed to not dent in I forget which ones they are now. The pinion angles have been rotated to adjust for driveshaft angle. Right now I think they have 4.54 or 4.88 gear ratio I forget. They are still in my K5 Blazer that is not running right now cause I pulled the motor and transmission out of it cause I was going to put a fuel injected 454 with a turbo 400 behind it but those plans kind of fell through. So I was thinking of putting these axles in my Jeep, if it is possible. I have not measured anything, I'm sure somehow they will have to be narrowed. I had these both axles completely redone a few years ago to go in the Blazer and only have maybe 5,000 miles on them. My question or questions are, can this be done? What about the ESP? Can the ESP warning and it's actions be disabled or will this setup or idea be a bad idea and cause too many issues? Let me know your ideas. And if you have any ideas on guessing how much this is going to cost than throw it out there and let me read it cause I have not inquired at all to any shops. But if I had some guesses or a general idea ahead of time at least I'd know if a shop was trying to rip me off or not. Thanks everyone, I will be awaiting some responses and ideas.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrod710
Hey fellow forum members. I have a question or questions. I have a rear 14 bolt with locker and a front dana 60 with locker. They have special covers on them as well, that are supposed to not dent in I forget which ones they are now. The pinion angles have been rotated to adjust for driveshaft angle. Right now I think they have 4.54 or 4.88 gear ratio I forget. They are still in my K5 Blazer that is not running right now cause I pulled the motor and transmission out of it cause I was going to put a fuel injected 454 with a turbo 400 behind it but those plans kind of fell through. So I was thinking of putting these axles in my Jeep, if it is possible. I have not measured anything, I'm sure somehow they will have to be narrowed. I had these both axles completely redone a few years ago to go in the Blazer and only have maybe 5,000 miles on them. My question or questions are, can this be done? What about the ESP? Can the ESP warning and it's actions be disabled or will this setup or idea be a bad idea and cause too many issues? Let me know your ideas. And if you have any ideas on guessing how much this is going to cost than throw it out there and let me read it cause I have not inquired at all to any shops. But if I had some guesses or a general idea ahead of time at least I'd know if a shop was trying to rip me off or not. Thanks everyone, I will be awaiting some responses and ideas.
between the abs braking system and the esp warning system u are going to have fun with that.

others on here may disagree with me but i think u are in a world of trouble if u try this but on the other hand, someone has to be the first to do it so it could be u.

im afraid tho that to make this work will cost u more money and safety than having bought a preassembled d60 already set up and designed for this application.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Trailmaker
between the abs braking system and the esp warning system u are going to have fun with that.

others on here may disagree with me but i think u are in a world of trouble if u try this but on the other hand, someone has to be the first to do it so it could be u.

im afraid tho that to make this work will cost u more money and safety than having bought a preassembled d60 already set up and designed for this application.
Originally Posted by randy payne
Wouldn't do it to my jk
I didn't know if this could be done or not or how much. I already have like 8 grand in these axles. I have tried to sell these axles on craigslist but only got 1 inquiry and he bought some closer to him. I'd let them go for $3,000 but have not found anyone to buy them, everyone is looking for the newer stuff. Thanks guys.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Check out a company called River Raider. They are suppose to be coming out with all the kit to convert standard D60 and 14B axles to work with the JK electronics.

h t t p://www.riverraider.com/

If that doesnt pan out, I believe Currie sells parts that you could convert at least the front axle over.

h t t p://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/products4x4.aspx?id=2991

Description: This is the 35 spline front unit bearing used in all Currie JK 1 ton front end applications. This unit bearing features the 5 on 5 1/2" Jeep wheel bolt pattern, is completely ABS and ESP compatible, and all of the factory JK wiring will reconnect with no modifications. Sold each.
I will definitely check it out. Thank you. I don't won't to have to spend thousands of dollars on axles if I don't have to when I have some awesome axles already built just needs regeared when I get wheels and tires and lift.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man there are ways to make your tons work the jk electronics. Do not get rid of them. You may want to regear and shave the 14 bolt, but do not sell them. I would call dynatrac. They make a full float 60 for the jk, so that means to me they have a spindle that fits a 35 spline shaft and works with jk electronics. So you may have to replace everything from end of axle tubes out on the 14 bolt, but will still be cheaper than a complete axle.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Check out a company called River Raider. They are suppose to be coming out with all the kit to convert standard D60 and 14B axles to work with the JK electronics.

h t t p://www.riverraider.com/

I didn't see anything on this site, maybe they just haven't updated their website yet. I have not tried to call them yet because I'm assuming on a Saturday night that they are closed so that will have to wait for a weekday during regular business hours. Thank you for the info, hopefully it leads to finding something.

If that doesnt pan out, I believe Currie sells parts that you could convert at least the front axle over.

h t t p://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/products4x4.aspx?id=2991

Description: This is the 35 spline front unit bearing used in all Currie JK 1 ton front end applications. This unit bearing features the 5 on 5 1/2" Jeep wheel bolt pattern, is completely ABS and ESP compatible, and all of the factory JK wiring will reconnect with no modifications. Sold each.
I browsed their website a little bit since receiving the info from above here and didn't see anything but will call them as well too. Hopefully I find something useful from these people. Also I tried copy and pasting the link provided above but kept getting page can not be displayed error.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you try to search in the show and tell section, there was a guy that put a 60 and 14 bolt into his jk. He doesn't say much about the electronics though.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, I'm retarded. After my last post I looked back up at that link provided in the reply about currie enterprises and I saw there were spaces in the http part of the provided link. So I copy and pasted the link again and took those spaces out and then the page loaded.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
If you try to search in the show and tell section, there was a guy that put a 60 and 14 bolt into his jk. He doesn't say much about the electronics though.
I will search there and see if I can find it and try to get in contact with that person. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Bolting them in is certainly possible with a ton of brackets and a welder, but making the computer and brakes recognize them would be alot more work. If you could live without the ESP system I think there is a procedure somewhere on this site to disable it all together. Also, the ABS system might throw a code or light up a dash light, but if you squint when you look at the dash you won't see it! Just depends on if you want a full stock like function or a simple bomb proof drivetrain under your rig. As for width, they will be huge under your rig, but there again it depends on whether you want an off road beast of a parking lot crawler.

Quick Reply: I Have A Dana 60 front axle, and rear 14 bolt already built need answers please