Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I was given a free winch but...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was given a free winch but...

Hey guys i was given a free 12500lb ramseys winch but the cable is rusted. I can't get it into a neutral position it works with the remote and when connected but i don't know how to change the metal line and the old fairlead. Anybody know how i could clean one of these up?
Thanks,
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

To be safe,replace cable with new.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
To be safe,replace cable with new.
I would like to go to a synthetic set up instead of the metal set up. Is a 12500 just overkill for my Jeep a "2 door"
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkyricky
I would like to go to a synthetic set up instead of the metal set up. Is a 12500 just overkill for my Jeep a "2 door"
It is overkill, but just think of it as a margin of safety. Agree with above, don't mess with the rust get a new cable/rope.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah you def. can't beat a free winch.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just replace the cable and fairlead and ur good to go!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

to change the line you need to pull all of it off. if it wont go into nutral pull it off by using the reverse on the switch. you will see where the cable is bolted onto the spool usally on the inside wall. just un bolt the cable from the spool. while you have it all off check your spool and play around with the nutral switch to see if you can tell why it hung up. may need to tap lightly with a hammer and use liberal amounts of penitrating oil to loosen any parts. there is no telling where a free winch has been in the past lol. then just reverse the process of putting the new cable on as you took it off. by attaching it to the spool and guiding it on it helps to set the tension on the cable by pulling your vehicle as you spool it or dragging something heavy to get the cable tight onto your spool. if you are going to use a braided synthetic line that step of pre tighting is important so the line dosent dig into its self and bury itsself and become impossibe to pull out. the fairlead should be easy to replace as they just bolt on to the outside of the winch or your bumper. just unbolt old and install new fairlead. hope my rambeling explanes it. good luck. oh and check the electrical cables to the winch for any soft spots or wore out sections make shure they are good. a faulty electrical cable can result in a carfire or shorting out.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by airborned
to change the line you need to pull all of it off. if it wont go into nutral pull it off by using the reverse on the switch. you will see where the cable is bolted onto the spool usally on the inside wall. just un bolt the cable from the spool. while you have it all off check your spool and play around with the nutral switch to see if you can tell why it hung up. may need to tap lightly with a hammer and use liberal amounts of penitrating oil to loosen any parts. there is no telling where a free winch has been in the past lol. then just reverse the process of putting the new cable on as you took it off. by attaching it to the spool and guiding it on it helps to set the tension on the cable by pulling your vehicle as you spool it or dragging something heavy to get the cable tight onto your spool. if you are going to use a braided synthetic line that step of pre tighting is important so the line dosent dig into its self and bury itsself and become impossibe to pull out. the fairlead should be easy to replace as they just bolt on to the outside of the winch or your bumper. just unbolt old and install new fairlead. hope my rambeling explanes it. good luck. oh and check the electrical cables to the winch for any soft spots or wore out sections make shure they are good. a faulty electrical cable can result in a carfire or shorting out.
Thanks, all the cables are good thanks for the explanation on how to unspool and respool the fresh synthetic line. I was just glad I got the controller with it
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Its a little overkill, but it will be fine. Better to have too much than too little. And definitely go with synthetic
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default cable{wire rope}

Hey guys i was given a free 12500lb ramseys winch but the cable is rusted. I can't get it into a neutral position it works with the remote and when connected but i don't know how to change the metal line and the old fairlead. Anybody know how i could clean one of these up?
Thanks,
Every crane out there has rust on its wire rope there are guide lines for when wire rope should be replaced a little research on the internet & you can make the call. I would give more opinions on wire rope but it usually starts a fight.

Quick Reply: I was given a free winch but...