Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I get a click, click, click nosie when I start moving....

Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave
I had a center cap on my old TJ's stock rims come loose, was held in place by a little set screw and as I drove, it clicked, sped up, etc... Not sure if you've got any sort of rim design that might cause the noise.
Its a slow day at the office so I'll go check this too...
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update: After cleaning EVERYTHING on the JK and re-greasing everything I could, I pulled both front and read driveshafts. It turnsout that the balljoint in the rear driveshaft has worn out. (pic below will give you an idea of what I'm talking about)

I was not aware that a $500 driveshaft would fail so quickly. I'm guessing its due to my lack of care for it and my heavy right foot while off-roading. Just to be clear I DO NOT blame reel at all for this. They have been very helpful and are helping me with options on how to fix the problem.

Lesson learned folks, LUBE IT OR LOSE IT!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ
Update: After cleaning EVERYTHING on the JK and re-greasing everything I could, I pulled both front and read driveshafts. It turnsout that the balljoint in the rear driveshaft has worn out. (pic below will give you an idea of what I'm talking about)

I was not aware that a $500 driveshaft would fail so quickly. I'm guessing its due to my lack of care for it and my heavy right foot while off-roading. Just to be clear I DO NOT blame reel at all for this. They have been very helpful and are helping me with options on how to fix the problem.

Lesson learned folks, LUBE IT OR LOSE IT!

I'm surprised that it failed at the double cardan joint, I thought the diff-end failing was most common.

Edit: my bad.

Last edited by Coley; 05-31-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coley
U-Joint. If it's grease-able, grease it. You should be able to get a new one for $30, and install shouldn't be too hard. That new means no rust to get in your way.

I'm surprised that it failed at the double cardan joint, I thought the diff-end failing was most common.
Its not comming from the u-joints. Its comming from the ball and socket between the u-joints. It also had a grease nipple but it broke off. I drilled it out and placed in a new grease fitting, greased it up but it only slightly helpped with the clicking noise. I'm waitting to hear back from reel to see if I can order just that part.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ

Its not comming from the u-joints. Its comming from the ball and socket between the u-joints. It also had a grease nipple but it broke off. I drilled it out and placed in a new grease fitting, greased it up but it only slightly helpped with the clicking noise. I'm waitting to hear back from reel to see if I can order just that part.
Gotcha. Post up how it works out with Reel. I'm betting either full replacement or rebuild, as even if you were to replace the center section of the cardan joint, it would probably still require a rebalancing.

Quick Reply: I get a click, click, click nosie when I start moving....