Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I get a click, click, click nosie when I start moving....

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get a click, click, click nosie when I start moving....

About two days ago I noticed that when I start moving I hear a click, click, click noise comming from the front end. It gets a little bit louder and faster as I pick up speed but then get drowned out by the hum of my tires. No there is no zip tie on the DS.....

I was planning on re-greaseing/tightening everything this weekend anyway but I have no idea where to start with this sound... Anyone ever have this problem before?

JK Specs:
2008 2dr rubicon
RE 4in list
35 in procomp tires
Coast front/rear driveshift (about 2,000 miles since I installed the front DS)
re-geared 5.13's by ORE (about 15,000 miles since install and about 5,000 miles since last fluid change)
21,000 miles
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

is it a high pitched click and very audible like it's something outside or, lower and muffled a bit like it could be inside of something?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
is it a high pitched click and very audible like it's something outside or, lower and muffled a bit like it could be inside of something?
something outside but not high pitched......sorta like having a ziptie on the driveshaft just not as fast or consistent....and it does not happen while I'm in reverse. I'm almost thinking its a bad ujoint where the axle meets the tire area.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by f3arn0FJ
something outside but not high pitched......sorta like having a ziptie on the driveshaft just not as fast or consistent....and it does not happen while I'm in reverse. I'm almost thinking its a bad ujoint where the axle meets the tire area.
hmmm, well, checking the u-joints is definitely a good place to start but typically, when they start to go bad, you only really hear them when turning and moving at the same time and even then, it doesn't really make a ticking sound. still, i would give them and the u-joints on your drive shaft a look. if they all check out, i might recommend that you open of your diff and check the teeth of your ring gear. hopefully it's not that but, what you have described sounds like you could have chipped teeth.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Make sure you don't have a rock stuck in your tire. My parents have a gravel drive and my 37" bfg's pick rocks up like champs and occasionally one won't fall out. luckily I don't have to go there to often unless it's to pickup my son. Could even be a screw or nail sticking out.

Last edited by Jae Suite; 05-24-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
hmmm, well, checking the u-joints is definitely a good place to start but typically, when they start to go bad, you only really hear them when turning and moving at the same time and even then, it doesn't really make a ticking sound. still, i would give them and the u-joints on your drive shaft a look. if they all check out, i might recommend that you open of your diff and check the teeth of your ring gear. hopefully it's not that but, what you have described sounds like you could have chipped teeth.
Dont wanna think about anymore chipped teeth! Lol I just paid off $1200 for MY front teeth... But thats easy todo so I'll do it this weekend. Guess I'll park the Jeep till then.

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Make sure you don't have a rock stuck in your tire. My parents have a gravel drive and my 37" bfg's pick rocks up like champs and occasionally one won't fall out. luckily I don't have to go there to often unless it's to pickup my son. Could even be a screw or nail sticking out.
Just walked outside to check and no rock/nail......good idea though
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Check axles next.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

So great news!!!! Not really....I took out the drainplug on my PS diff cover and let a few drops of fluid come out into my hand. It was very shiny and silver colored....This is not looking good.

I'm here at work so I can't pull off the entire cover without making a huge mess
Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a center cap on my old TJ's stock rims come loose, was held in place by a little set screw and as I drove, it clicked, sped up, etc... Not sure if you've got any sort of rim design that might cause the noise.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Check axles next.
How would one go about doing this? I'm sorta new to the 4x4 world....

Quick Reply: I get a click, click, click nosie when I start moving....