Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I finally did something...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finally did something...

Hello everyone,

I have followed this forum for quite some time now and appreciate the information I have gained~ thanks to all.

Modifications have always been something I consider to do as an alternative to stock repairs- when they are on my nickle. No doubt, post- warranty jeep life is much more interesting, now.

Mindful of a budget, recently, I upgraded my suspension with a Rough Country 2.5" lift.

The budget "flexed" a bit when I added 35" Goodyear MT/R tires to the vision.

This is a much more interesting machine now~ looks, ride, and view!

Delighted with my "new" 2007 Saraha, I hope a few may have opinions or direct me for advice on some things that make me think...hmph...:

1. At high speeds, my jeep seems to steer a little uncertain. It doesn't pull in one direction, but just seems to have general wanderlust. I would like to tighten matters up, but am unsure of how to proceed.

2. Freeway travel around Detroit is not so challenging from a climbing and descending standpoint, however, at speeds about 70 mph, my jeep downshifts a lot and does not exceed 85 mph. ( I have convinced myself, as a motorist, that there are times when I must drive fast... a lot of times.) I wonder, with my latest endeavor, if this i a comprimise I must make, or, if there is something I could or should have done to maintain original performance (or better) on the highway.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-11-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: non sponsor solicitation
Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

35"s will wander around the road surface with uneven or bumpy areas, thy are alot more surface area of tire to try to keep straight.

regear to get your "performance" back, but really you'll not get the top speed back with those tires. Its give and take when you modify.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

For the shifting, get a Superchips Flashpaq and you can program your shift points so they are better.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Add a set of front lower control arms. This should help with the flighty or wandering steering. And yes the Superchips should help with the shift points and possibly some power. Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:12 AM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GON WHLN
regear to get your "performance" back, but really you'll not get the top speed back with those tires.
I have the Flashpaq. The shift points are not user adjustable, they're "Superchips Optimized" (or something like that). But... I agree, get the Flashpaq, adjust your tire size and find tune the tire size by comparing your speedometer with your GPS, and run the tow tune.

Without that, turn overdrive off with the button by the shifter.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

1. At high speeds, my jeep seems to steer a little uncertain. It doesn't pull in one direction, but just seems to have general wanderlust. I would like to tighten matters up, but am unsure of how to proceed.
Read this one in the Suspension FAQ's:
"Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?"

2. Freeway travel around Detroit is not so challenging from a climbing and descending standpoint, however, at speeds about 70 mph, my jeep downshifts a lot and does not exceed 85 mph. ( I have convinced myself, as a motorist, that there are times when I must drive fast... a lot of times.) I wonder, with my latest endeavor, if this i a comprimise I must make, or, if there is something I could or should have done to maintain original performance (or better) on the highway.
Read the gearing advice and look plug some numbers into the charts in the Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply: I finally did something...