Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I cant take it anymore!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tire place said one of the stock tires on my 11' JKUR has worn out of round (?) It's rebalanced and it's better, but it still makes a thumping sound at most speeds, maybe I'll move it to the spare. Btw; I don't think my tires were properly balanced from the factory. A better tire balancing place might be able to help you.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

I just put brand new Toyo Open Country A/T's on my 2012 CoD after this same issue. My stock mud terrains cupped so bad it beat the hell out me driving down the road. So loud I couldn't use my Uconnect, radio was always blasting, and I was 'wandering" all over the roads....

After having the tires rotated and balanced it was better (tolerable) but got worse real quick. The tire guys didn't see anything wrong with the suspension and I did ask to have them check the ball joints, shocks, and anything else they could think of. He didn't find anything and that didn't give me a warm fuzzy....

I took it to the alignment shop. Only issue was a the toe in was a little off, this was corrected and so I ordered the new tires!
Toyo OC A/T's 265/70/17. All 5 were replaced and I can not believe the difference! Of course, they are new tires and I need to keep an eye on them but the point I am trying to make is that the mud terrains are prone to wearing out fast if they aren't rotated / balanced on a regular bases.... (mine weren't). The new ones will be!

Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of your issue.

Schlep
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Schleprock
I just put brand new Toyo Open Country A/T's on my 2012 CoD after this same issue. My stock mud terrains cupped so bad it beat the hell out me driving down the road. So loud I couldn't use my Uconnect, radio was always blasting, and I was 'wandering" all over the roads....

After having the tires rotated and balanced it was better (tolerable) but got worse real quick. The tire guys didn't see anything wrong with the suspension and I did ask to have them check the ball joints, shocks, and anything else they could think of. He didn't find anything and that didn't give me a warm fuzzy....

I took it to the alignment shop. Only issue was a the toe in was a little off, this was corrected and so I ordered the new tires!
Toyo OC A/T's 265/70/17. All 5 were replaced and I can not believe the difference! Of course, they are new tires and I need to keep an eye on them but the point I am trying to make is that the mud terrains are prone to wearing out fast if they aren't rotated / balanced on a regular bases.... (mine weren't). The new ones will be!

Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of your issue.

Schlep
i often find my jeep wandering also. im thinking its the same problem you had. im gonna have it looked over one more time. if everything suspension wise is good then ill just get new tires. now......what kind of tires
Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
May be more going on than alignment. Remember, alignments are done when the vehicle is static. When you drive, it's dynamic. Which will then expose loose ball joints, worn mounting bolts (track bar, control arms, etc.). When the vehicle sits nice and calm, simply wrenching it to get the alignment done won't expose loose or worn fittings. You need to get the weight off of it. Lift it, support the frame, remove all the wheels, grab and wiggle each hub, remove bolts, check for wear, looseness, etc. It's a chore, but only takes less than a couple hours to check it over. It's worth doing at least once a year. If you are off road, do it more often. Just remember, these things are built for the masses for the most part. Going off road taxes equipment. That is why there is so much of a market on upgrades. Before you buy tires, invest a few hours, check it over, or take it to a good 4x4 shop to check it over. Don't go to a general garage. The 4x4 shops charge about the same as a regular garage. You might as well have experience and knowledge on your side for the same $.
Great info ^^
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wandering = poor alignment. Either the toe, caster, and/or camber is out of spec, or you have worn components that don't hold the alignment.

Moog ball joints aren't much better than stock. If you have other things going on, they could be worn out already.

Poor alignment and/or worn parts causes the cupping.

Feathered or cupped tread tires are not fixed with road force balancing. Tire tread compounds are not the same consistency on a mud terrain tire. The rubber gets harder as the tread wears down. That is why worn mud terrains get progressively louder as they wear down. A cupped or feathered tire usually has a variation of rubber stiffness that will cause vibrations as the rubber contacts the ground. You can run them in the rear and they could possibly start to wear flat, but they won't wear flat in the front if they are already cupped or feathered.

If your tires cup or feather, it isn't caused by the tire. It is caused by lack of maintenance, a poor alignment or worn parts. If you don't fix this, you will damage your new tires as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Wandering = poor alignment. Either the toe, caster, and/or camber is out of spec, or you have worn components that don't hold the alignment.

Moog ball joints aren't much better than stock. If you have other things going on, they could be worn out already.

Feathered or cupped tread tires are not fixed with road force balancing. Tire tread compounds are not the same consistency on a mud terrain tire. The rubber gets harder as the tread wears down. That is why worn mud terrains get progressively louder as they wear down. A cupped or feathered tire usually has a variation of rubber stiffness that will cause vibrations as the rubber contacts the ground. You can run them in the rear and they could possibly start to wear flat, but they won't wear flat in the front if they are already cupped or feathered.

If your tires cup or feather, it isn't caused by the tire. It is caused by lack of maintenance, a poor alignment or worn parts. If you don't fix this, you will damage your new tires as well.
ill have to take it to the jeep shop and have them look it over. thats gonna be step 1
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you do, you should spend about 30 minutes and perform the cursory inspection that I show in my 2nd YouTube video on Diagnosing DW and shimmies.

That way, you can tell them what you found as needing further inspection.

Few shops really know what they are doing.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman

I fully agree! I screwed the pooch on "lack of maintenance, and poor alignment"...... I rotated my stock M/T's a total of 3 times in 44,000+ miles..... not good. Alignment caught and corrected the out of spec Toe and new tires corrected the "lack of maintenance". Lesson learned on my part.
I'm hoping my maintenance skills improve and having A/T's this time will extend the life of my tires.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Had cupped tires

I had cupped tires a few sets ago. Toward the end of the life of the tires, I was getting one tire that just wouldn't balance. So, I threw it on the rear and decided not to do another rotation until I ran the tread out. Figured there would be noise, but was already getting antsy for a new set.

I got caught in some real bad weather in Utah. I went to a shop and asked them to rotate the tires. The vibration was better on the way home than less tread on fronts versus backs. They cupped by the time I got halfway home.

The cupping may have been a coincidence, but I think it was poor rotation for me. And I knew better. Today, I am religious about rotation. I just got new 37s and went immediately to the oil change place, so tires and oil would be in sync. I have a huge (still growing) respect for tire care since making every mistake in the book over the years!

Quick Reply: I cant take it anymore!!!