Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I cant take it anymore!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cant take it anymore!!!

alright everyone. im about to pull the hair out of my head. im pretty sure my tires are cupped. i had my jeep aligned and tires were rotated. im running the toyo open country mud terrains in 35/12.50/r18. im gonna end up buying new tires because the vibration is driving me up a wall. should i stick with the same tires or go for something else? ideas? suggestions? solutions?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on how you use your Jeep. I know those Toyos aren't cheap.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

next set of tires are gonna do the same til you figure out whats causing it. sounds like you have other problems.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you fixed your alignment, your shocks are good and your ball joints are good, swapping to new tires should fix your specific problem.

Cupped tires cause vibrations. You can sell them to someone with a trail rig, and they will be fine, but not for a daily driver.

Next time, don't buy used if they are cupped or feathered. Rotate the tires every other oil change. Keep your rig aligned, and replace worn parts immediately before they cause other problems.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Before junking the tires, I would have them "Road Force" balanced. The tires could also be "out of round". I had a set of BFG AT's that drove me nuts as well.

Good luck with them ....
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be more going on than alignment. Remember, alignments are done when the vehicle is static. When you drive, it's dynamic. Which will then expose loose ball joints, worn mounting bolts (track bar, control arms, etc.). When the vehicle sits nice and calm, simply wrenching it to get the alignment done won't expose loose or worn fittings. You need to get the weight off of it. Lift it, support the frame, remove all the wheels, grab and wiggle each hub, remove bolts, check for wear, looseness, etc. It's a chore, but only takes less than a couple hours to check it over. It's worth doing at least once a year. If you are off road, do it more often. Just remember, these things are built for the masses for the most part. Going off road taxes equipment. That is why there is so much of a market on upgrades.

Before you buy tires, invest a few hours, check it over, or take it to a good 4x4 shop to check it over. Don't go to a general garage. The 4x4 shops charge about the same as a regular garage. You might as well have experience and knowledge on your side for the same $.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by olram30
next set of tires are gonna do the same til you figure out whats causing it. sounds like you have other problems.
i hada mechanic look it over. he jsut said the tires were cupped. ill have to get a second opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
i hada mechanic look it over. he jsut said the tires were cupped. ill have to get a second opinion.
that mechanic, isn't aware of the issue at hand. Get the 2nd opinion. At a proper shop.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
May be more going on than alignment. Remember, alignments are done when the vehicle is static. When you drive, it's dynamic. Which will then expose loose ball joints, worn mounting bolts (track bar, control arms, etc.). When the vehicle sits nice and calm, simply wrenching it to get the alignment done won't expose loose or worn fittings. You need to get the weight off of it. Lift it, support the frame, remove all the wheels, grab and wiggle each hub, remove bolts, check for wear, looseness, etc. It's a chore, but only takes less than a couple hours to check it over. It's worth doing at least once a year. If you are off road, do it more often. Just remember, these things are built for the masses for the most part. Going off road taxes equipment. That is why there is so much of a market on upgrades.

Before you buy tires, invest a few hours, check it over, or take it to a good 4x4 shop to check it over. Don't go to a general garage. The 4x4 shops charge about the same as a regular garage. You might as well have experience and knowledge on your side for the same $.
ball joints were replaced with MOOGs over a year ago. the shocks are only a couple years old. MAYBE 30,000 miles on them? ill have to have someone look over the jeep with a fine tooth comb.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

when i rotated them the vibration went away. so i guess something is causing them to cup or the tires are defective. i did buy them used a couple years ago off craigslist.

Quick Reply: I cant take it anymore!!!