Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I can't decide!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't decide!

Ok, so Ive been playing with 33s or 35s, stock or aftermarket wheels, lift / no lift etc... I know that some wide 33s on some BlackRock Viper (blacks) would look nice on my Red Rock baby, but.....35s look so much better on unlimiteds. IF I decide to go 35s, I know I would need to regear my axles to a 4.56 (auto 99% on road). What good quality BB would get me by(or would a leveler do the trick)? Also, what considerations need to be made reference caster angle, and all the other things I have read about on here? Is it possible to get to a 35 for less than $4000? Or, should I just drool at all the other JKs that make mine look tiny as I roll on 33s? BTW, actual measured height on my stock sahara tires (thanks to FATMAX tape) is 31, so a TRUE 33 would still look better.....
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it possible to get to a 35 for less than $4000?
JK's have huge wheel wells. Chop your flares or go to flats, add wheels with less backspace, trim some plastic, and you can run 35's with no lift.

IF I decide to go 35s, I know I would need to regear my axles to a 4.56 (auto 99% on road)
With an Auto, you may want to re-think that gear choice. Consider 5.13's instead.

What good quality BB would get me by(or would a leveler do the trick)?
A leveling kit would be fine, but you may want to chop the flares or add more bumpstop as well. As far as which BB? A spacer is a spacer. Compare the other components in the kits. (RC posted earlier with a sale on their 2.5" BB for $80. Haven't seen any other sales going on, but look around)

Also, what considerations need to be made reference caster angle, and all the other things I have read about on here?
Open the faq's stickied to the top of this modified area, look in the suspension faq, and read : "Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?"
At 2-2.5", lots of people don't worry about caster. Install the lift, drive it around a bit, and see if 'you' need to address the caster. There are several options, from 'inexpensive, but has issues', to 'inexpensive, but completely non-adjustable', to 'do I really want to spend more for caster correction than I paid for the lift?'
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im trying to decide between 33's and 35's too. Im leaning towards a aggresive set of 33's and spacing my factory wheels with 1.5" spidertrax. I've got a 2.5" lift... i've been looking at pics of the same and to me it looks ok. 35's look nice to, but Im not so eager to burn the extra gas and possibly regear.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2saharas
Ok, so Ive been playing with 33s or 35s, stock or aftermarket wheels, lift / no lift etc... I know that some wide 33s on some BlackRock Viper (blacks) would look nice on my Red Rock baby, but.....35s look so much better on unlimiteds. IF I decide to go 35s, I know I would need to regear my axles to a 4.56 (auto 99% on road). What good quality BB would get me by(or would a leveler do the trick)? Also, what considerations need to be made reference caster angle, and all the other things I have read about on here? Is it possible to get to a 35 for less than $4000? Or, should I just drool at all the other JKs that make mine look tiny as I roll on 33s? BTW, actual measured height on my stock sahara tires (thanks to FATMAX tape) is 31, so a TRUE 33 would still look better.....
I have a 2008 Unlimited and went with a 2.5 suspension from Rough Country, then put on 1.5" wheel spacers and used my stock 17's with 35" Fierce Attitude MT's. I also kept my stock fender flares and did not regear yet but may do that in the future (I also have an automatic) and didn't do a thing to the caster angle. You will only notice the gearing at speeds over 65mph as it tends to want to shift a lot, but if you just take out of overdrive its smooth sailing at 70-75. I also got some JKS Quicker Disconnects to make it more off road friendly. My total package ran me under $2,000. When on the trails the tires rub the fenders under extreme articulation, but nothing major. I mostly rubbed on the front bumper, so probably moving towards a stubby sometime soon. If you do a lot of interstate driving you may want to consider the 33's but if you are in the middle like me (I drive 18 miles on interstate to and from work every day), go 35's or you will regret down the road and end up buying them anyway. Take a look at my profile for some pics if you want to see the finished product.

Quick Reply: I can't decide!