Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I can turn the steering wheel...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can turn the steering wheel...

So I just installed a drag flip. I centered the steering wheel and noticed I can turn the wheel further right than I can left. How do I correct this?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Can you see what stops the motion? Is it in the linkage? Knuckle stops? Or, is it in the steering box?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Can you see what stops the motion? Is it in the linkage? Knuckle stops? Or, is it in the steering box?
So I check and the pitman arm is what is stopping it. Do I just need to shorten the drag link?

Last edited by ninjajmoney; 07-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
So I check and the pitman arm is what is stopping it. Do I just need to shorten the drag link?
How is the pitman arm stopping it? Is the drag link hitting it at full travel.

I would say the first thing you need to do is establish the center position of the steering box/pitman arm.
You can do that by disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm, turn the wheel all the way in one direction, turn it all the way in the other direction while counting the turns, come back exactly half that amount. Note where the steering wheel is at that point. Hopefully it will be centered.

Adjust your drag link and tie rod from there.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

How is the pitman arm stopping it? Is the drag link hitting it at full travel.

I would say the first thing you need to do is establish the center position of the steering box/pitman arm.
You can do that by disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm, turn the wheel all the way in one direction, turn it all the way in the other direction while counting the turns, come back exactly half that amount. Note where the steering wheel is at that point. Hopefully it will be centered.

Adjust your drag link and tie rod from there.
I will give that a shot and hopefully this corrects the problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

I will give that a shot and hopefully this corrects the problem. Thanks for the info.
Well, it may not correct the situation. It's just the first step in troubleshooting; establishing a neutral point.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Well, it may not correct the situation. It's just the first step in troubleshooting; establishing a neutral point.
Understood but at least I have a starting point.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

OK, so I adjusted it as close as I could. But now when I turn the wheel left, it turns 1.55. When I turn the wheel right it turns 1.5. Is this acceptable? Or should it be 50/50?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

OK, so I adjusted it as close as I could. But now when I turn the wheel left, it turns 1.55. When I turn the wheel right it turns 1.5. Is this acceptable? Or should it be 50/50?
Check that the wheel is straight, then check the wheel alignment. The right toe-in is adjusted with the drag link. The left toe-in is then adjusted with the tie rod.
When that's done, go full left and right with the steering wheel. If anything hits and stops travel before the knuckle stops hit, you need to look at that.

Quick Reply: I can turn the steering wheel...