Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I am in a really bad mood...Teraflex leveling Kit Help Please....

Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman

Installing a lift without disconnecting the trackbar and loosening the control arm bolts is a very, very bad idea.

The trackbars and control arms have end bushings with metal bolt sleeves.

When torqued to spec (most of them are 125 ft. lbs.) the metal sleeves and the bushings are pinched very tightly in the mounting brackets.

When the suspension flexes, the bushings bind up and want to return to their normal position.

If you lift a vehicle without loosening the control arm bolts and the trackbar bolts, the bushings are severely pinched/bound/pre-loaded to a different height than the new actual ride height.

The metal bushings sleeves eventually end up ripping away from the rubber bushing material, or the bushings crack/separate due to the constant twisting from being pinched between the bracket sides and a different angle than ride height.

Eventually, this leads to clunking, wobbles, shimmies, and even DW.

Never, ever change your ride height without loosening the bolts for all your control arms and your trackbars.

Never, ever re-torque these components until the vehicle is on the ground, with the tires on, at the new ride height.
Does this apply to TJs as well?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

How I did it:

Jack jeep up by differential, put jack stands under the frame.

Remove tires.
Unbolt sway bar.
Unbolt lower control arms.
Unbolt lower shock bolt.
Unbolt brake lines.
Unbolt ebrake.

Lower axle until springs literally pop out. I was a little shocked by just how easily they pop out ... Took me 20-30 mins going slow.

You'll need an 18mm socket, 18mm wrench, 19mm socket with breaker bar (could possibly be 18, memory tad fuzzy on it) and 10mm socket for everything else. You'll need a long extension to reach the ebrake.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman

Yes it does. Although the torque specs are different.
Good to know. Thanks for the info planman. I'll put it to use when I lift my buddy's TJ this weekend.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well this is all great advice....too bad I didnt have it when I started lol I have to say, it was a bit of a bear but I am so pleased at the results. I drove it all day yesterday and there is no noticeable difference in ride quality - though it does feel taller. probably my imagination! The look is perfect. I dont see me doing any rock crawling in Indiana and for the camping trips and occassional romps through the woods this is a perfect set-up in my opinion. Between this and the tires, I honestly believe I have the best set up vehicle for my lifestyle I have ever had!

For around $140 out the door you can't beat it...well worth the sore muscles yesterday!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by indyjeep
Well this is all great advice....too bad I didnt have it when I started lol I have to say, it was a bit of a bear but I am so pleased at the results. I drove it all day yesterday and there is no noticeable difference in ride quality - though it does feel taller. probably my imagination! The look is perfect. I dont see me doing any rock crawling in Indiana and for the camping trips and occassional romps through the woods this is a perfect set-up in my opinion. Between this and the tires, I honestly believe I have the best set up vehicle for my lifestyle I have ever had!

For around $140 out the door you can't beat it...well worth the sore muscles yesterday!
We knew you could do it.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a perfect example of why you have a build party and someone shows up that knows what they are doing.
Don't forget the BEER
Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vandegrift
This is a perfect example of why you have a build party and someone shows up that knows what they are doing.
Don't forget the BEER
Oh no doubt. Its mod parties from here on out. Even if I am replacing a fuse I am going to have people around...any good excuse for beer and friends.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about posting some photos, Indy?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I plan to take a few tomorrow...with it getting dark at 6 its hard to get out there. Check back tomorrow afternoon for a few.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are a few camera phone pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110110_222755.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	116636   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110110_222833.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	116637   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110110_222856.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	116638   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110110_222927.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	116639  

Quick Reply: I am in a really bad mood...Teraflex leveling Kit Help Please....