Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

I was about to get Rockstars but....

Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was about to get Rockstars but....

So I was looking into getting some EVO rockstars for the added ground clearance and skid plate factor. Plus I was hoping to get some "additional" travel out of the rear. I read around here somewhere that you should measure first, so I did. For reference, I'm running a TF 3" kit with springs, shocks, arms, bumpstops, etc. w/35s

Results:
-Distance until rear shock bottoms out: 8.25"
-Distance until rear bump stops bottom out: 8" (measured to the hard bump stop not the squishy part)

So this means that when my rear tire is stuffed (bump stops hitting), I have just .25" travel left in the shock. So this means that if I were to put rockstars on, which raises the shock 1.5", I would bottom out on my shock first....which is bad.

So here are the options I see so far:
Option 1- Guess I don't get rockstars, just buy some rear control arm skids and call it a day.

Option 2-get 1.5" longer bump stops and rockstars. This seems like a moot point. Correct me if I'm wrong, this route would gain me ZERO additional travel in the rear, all it would do is give me less stuff but more droop. Doesn't really seem worth it?

Options 3-get different shocks and rockstars. This seems like a whole lotta extra cash for miminal payback. My TF shocks are working very nice!

I'm leaning towards option 1 as it is the least expensive and my stock LCA mounts are still in good condition.

I guess I don't get rockstars but I guess that means TF designed their kit well and I'm getting the most travel possible for the given setup.

Is any of my reasoning off? Am I missing something? Are there any other options I'm not seeing?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

I'm on the same boat. I'm waiting for someone to show me their shock not bottoming out, or fully extending, using the RockStars.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I'm on the same boat. I'm waiting for someone to show me their shock not bottoming out, or fully extending, using the RockStars.
Is that a challange? Sounds like a challenge... looks like I'm going wheeling this weekend
Old 10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

consider yourself challenged
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkJason
Is that a challange? Sounds like a challenge... looks like I'm going wheeling this weekend
Smacks you across the face with my leather glove.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Bahahahahaha... I've actually never checked to see if the shocks are bottoming out before the bumpstops so I'm curious myself. I'll keep you updated.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have never checked either, maybe I'll try to in a week.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Yes, I have the exact same situation. After getting the Rockstars, I was getting a clunk when
the top of the shock shaft was hitting the shock housing. I added 2" longer bumpstops, but
not really happy since, I too, realize there is now less flex. Have the TF long 12" shocks and
feel there is a better solution. Thinking of mounting the top of the shock bracket above
the frame mount to gain an inch or so. Or getting the TF 1 1/2" cone spacer to get more
shock stretch, or get shorter shocks, but like TF ones. Or get 4" rear springs. ??
Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking into the evo rockstars till I read this. I REALLY dont want to buy new shocks or add longer bumpstops. I guess the Kilby lower shock mount skids would work.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlameRed
So I was looking into getting some EVO rockstars for the added ground clearance and skid plate factor. Plus I was hoping to get some "additional" travel out of the rear. I read around here somewhere that you should measure first, so I did. For reference, I'm running a TF 3" kit with springs, shocks, arms, bumpstops, etc. w/35s

Results:
-Distance until rear shock bottoms out: 8.25"
-Distance until rear bump stops bottom out: 8" (measured to the hard bump stop not the squishy part)

So this means that when my rear tire is stuffed (bump stops hitting), I have just .25" travel left in the shock. So this means that if I were to put rockstars on, which raises the shock 1.5", I would bottom out on my shock first....which is bad.

So here are the options I see so far:
Option 1- Guess I don't get rockstars, just buy some rear control arm skids and call it a day.

Option 2-get 1.5" longer bump stops and rockstars. This seems like a moot point. Correct me if I'm wrong, this route would gain me ZERO additional travel in the rear, all it would do is give me less stuff but more droop. Doesn't really seem worth it?

Options 3-get different shocks and rockstars. This seems like a whole lotta extra cash for miminal payback. My TF shocks are working very nice!

I'm leaning towards option 1 as it is the least expensive and my stock LCA mounts are still in good condition.

I guess I don't get rockstars but I guess that means TF designed their kit well and I'm getting the most travel possible for the given setup.

Is any of my reasoning off? Am I missing something? Are there any other options I'm not seeing?
According to you calculations and priorities I would not recommend EVO RockStars for your aplication.

Unless you were looking for the added 1.5" of ground clearance above the low hanging rear control arm/shock bracket. Is so, your option 3 is the correct course of action for your application.

Our Rear Lower Control Arm Skids are a great application for your current setup. They give protection to your control arms and shocks aswell as gussets the bracket to help prevent failure. These work will all shock/lift applications.

Mel

Quick Reply: I was about to get Rockstars but....