Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech time

Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muff Daddy
Can you elaborate on the diablo? What does it do that the others don't? I tune gm stuff on the side for cash so for me to go to the lame-o handheld with a generic tune is going to suck.
Never used the Diablo but it is my understanding that is allows for tons of custom tunes based on various modifications like superchargers, and various exhaust stuff (things that a lot of JK owners won't do or know how to program). I also understand that it has some pre-programmed tunes for the novice user but if you get into the custom stuff without knowing what you are doing, you can mess stuff up very quickly.

I believe Diablo is used quite a bit on racing cars and things like that where people wnat to make there own tweaks. Anyway, here is a link to a thread here on JKF about it.

And I believe if you buy a RIPP Supercharger, it comes with one of these programmers...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=diablo

if you are looking to do custom tunes and have the skill, this is probably your best option. Don't know if you can buy one unit and use it on multiple vehicles or if they become VIN locked like the Superchips.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Never used the Diablo but it is my understanding that is allows for tons of custom tunes based on various modifications like superchargers, and various exhaust stuff (things that a lot of JK owners won't do or know how to program). I also understand that it has some pre-programmed tunes for the novice user but if you get into the custom stuff without knowing what you are doing, you can mess stuff up very quickly.

I believe Diablo is used quite a bit on racing cars and things like that where people wnat to make there own tweaks. Anyway, here is a link to a thread here on JKF about it.

And I believe if you buy a RIPP Supercharger, it comes with one of these programmers...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=diablo

if you are looking to do custom tunes and have the skill, this is probably your best option. Don't know if you can buy one unit and use it on multiple vehicles or if they become VIN locked like the Superchips.
Last I knew with the diablo stuff is if you want a custom tune you have to work with diablo to make the tune for you and email it to you. From there you upload it to the handheld and flash the vehicle. If you are curious as to what I'm accustomed to check out hptuners. Basically if the manufacturer set a parameter (1000's) my program allows me to change it to really fine tune the car to the owners preferences. The diablo stuff is kids stuff comparitively. I was really hoping there would be a solution like that for the Jeep stuff but it seems I'm out of luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Last I knew with the diablo stuff is if you want a custom tune you have to work with diablo to make the tune for you and email it to you. From there you upload it to the handheld and flash the vehicle. If you are curious as to what I'm accustomed to check out hptuners. Basically if the manufacturer set a parameter (1000's) my program allows me to change it to really fine tune the car to the owners preferences. The diablo stuff is kids stuff comparitively. I was really hoping there would be a solution like that for the Jeep stuff but it seems I'm out of luck.
I have a cousin that's big into custom tunes. When he describes it to me, its way over my head! Although, he had a RIPP supercharger put into his Huyndai Tiburon a while back and let the folks at RIPP do the programming I believe. I think his was the prototype for the Tiburon supercharger or at least one of the first ones. I never thought much about RIPP until I saw the Xtreme 4x4 espisodes wiith the JK and Gen 2 supercharger. Cool stuff
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I have a cousin that's big into custom tunes. When he describes it to me, its way over my head! Although, he had a RIPP supercharger put into his Huyndai Tiburon a while back and let the folks at RIPP do the programming I believe. I think his was the prototype for the Tiburon supercharger or at least one of the first ones. I never thought much about RIPP until I saw the Xtreme 4x4 espisodes wiith the JK and Gen 2 supercharger. Cool stuff
Missed those.... going to have to keep my eye out for them.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Missed those.... going to have to keep my eye out for them.
It was cool but the espisodes moved too fast. Basically, a stock JK unlimted built up with Atomic axles, Gen 2 Supercharger, Rubicrawler, custom roll cage, bumpers, 37's (I believe) and some other mods. Ran a comparison of the Supercharger vs. a JK with a hemi. Interesting results as they were very close making the Supercharger appear to be a better choice due to cost. They had guys from RIPP there making custom tunes with the Diablo.

Sent you a PM with link to the video on Xtreme 4x4 site...well episode 3 of it.

Last edited by mpkelley20; 03-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy1884
I average 13 mpg. I think I need one too!
Man I was getting 12 and am light on the skinny then installed hypertec max energy and get 17 mpg with noticible power, I also have K&N system which didnt help with power but did improve mpg.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds to me like hypertech is best for IHE type mods with the diablo maybe better for forced induction or displacement changes then, right?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigT

Man I was getting 12 and am light on the skinny then installed hypertec max energy and get 17 mpg with noticible power, I also have K&N system which didnt help with power but did improve mpg.
I have the k&n air filter that helped with 1-2 mpg. Do you have the k&n cold air intake? I'm really looking into getting one of those just not sure which one to buy yet.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy1884
I have the k&n air filter that helped with 1-2 mpg. Do you have the k&n cold air intake? I'm really looking into getting one of those just not sure which one to buy yet.
Yea the cold air setup is what I have. I would just stay away if deep water and mud are your thing. I quit finding much mud after 2 motors and 3 trannys, no joke. It was a dodge with a 5 inch skyjacker that I gave HELL!!!! Lots of fun just WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigT

Yea the cold air setup is what I have. I would just stay away if deep water and mud are your thing. I quit finding much mud after 2 motors and 3 trannys, no joke. It was a dodge with a 5 inch skyjacker that I gave HELL!!!! Lots of fun just WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!
Thanks for the heads up when I get it I'll probably stick to rocks and shallow water lol

Quick Reply: Hypertech time