Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech time

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends what you want from your jeep I guess. Both seem to be good products. I just happened to be one of the ones with Superchips engine clatter. Hyperchips tune seems to like my Jeep better for some reason.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I understand...the pinging issue is a huge problem with the Superchips. I am lucky that I don't get any. the Hypertech doesn't seem to have any of those issues....maybe that's why they are slower at rolling out updates because they test their stuff more??

And frankly, since I re-geared, I really don't need the performance tune....although I still run it.

My main thing was to point out to people that are thinking about getting a tuner is that they will not see significant increases in mpg. There is no way anyone can go from 12mpg to 20mpg without swapping engines! LOL!! if they are getting 12mpg, maybe 13 to 14 range is a good estimate.....maybe....or nothing!

The best way to improve mpg is to change your driving habits. At least, that's what I found.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am sure my city miles will be nowhere near my highway mpg. I also have the stock 18 wheels and tires and 3.73 gears. If I can get a consistent 17 mpg in the city I will call that success.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Yes, I understand...the pinging issue is a huge problem with the Superchips. I am lucky that I don't get any. the Hypertech doesn't seem to have any of those issues....maybe that's why they are slower at rolling out updates because they test their stuff more??

And frankly, since I re-geared, I really don't need the performance tune....although I still run it.

My main thing was to point out to people that are thinking about getting a tuner is that they will not see significant increases in mpg. There is no way anyone can go from 12mpg to 20mpg without swapping engines! LOL!! if they are getting 12mpg, maybe 13 to 14 range is a good estimate.....maybe....or nothing!

The best way to improve mpg is to change your driving habits. At least, that's what I found.
I'm running the ProComp (by Hypertech) tuner, and have probably gained the noted 1-2 MPG's, but have found it to have very noticeable gains in power with the 87 tune. Although It would be nice to disable the TPMS. Is there any other way to do that?
Ermm, I'm thinking like maybe the Hypertech tune and then just the TPMS disabled with a ProCal module?

Last edited by Jo-Ni-JK's; 03-16-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jo-Ni-JK's
I'm running the ProComp (by Hypertech) tuner, and have probably gained the noted 1-2 MPG's, but have found it to have very noticeable gains in power with the 87 tune. Although It would be nice to disable the TPMS. Is there any other way to do that?
You can run the procal unit with the Hypertech as long as you don't try and use the same adjustment for each programmer (i.e. dont adjust the speedo with both the hypertech and procal unit...only use one for each function). or you can keep hounding the Hypertech guys to add the TPMS feature...but don't hold your breath as we asked for that well over a year ago.

The procal is a nice tool because it does some features that some prgrammers won't do like disabling TPMS, daytime running lights, etc.. It is also an instant update when it connects to the Jeep unlike software programmers like Hypertech or Superchips which tend to take 5 minutes to 20 minutes to upload a tune. You WILL NOT get a performance tune with Procal, however, some people think they do see improvements...but its due to fixing the speedo when bigger tires or gears are installed. In essence, it fixes the shift points on autos back to where they should be which feels like performance improvements.

The Superchips tuner does everything the Hypertech does plus most of what the procal does. The main issue for people is that they are getting some pinging in their engines with various (or all of) tunes from the Superchips. I've never had any issues with mine so I can't complain.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dang! Why can't they just make it simple!

I would just like to get that stupid TPMS light off my dash, get a little better mileage, change the shift points, get the speedometer correct, correct for 35" tires, and in the future be able to set it for new 5.13 gears. And after all that was good to go I'd hope to get a little better performance if possible.

With all that in mind would it make sense to get the Superchip and the Hypertech and just adjust everything with the Superchip and only adjust the TPMS with the Hypertech?

Or is there is an easier way?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepFrog707
Dang! Why can't they just make it simple!

I would just like to get that stupid TPMS light off my dash, get a little better mileage, change the shift points, get the speedometer correct, correct for 35" tires, and in the future be able to set it for new 5.13 gears. And after all that was good to go I'd hope to get a little better performance if possible.

With all that in mind would it make sense to get the Superchip and the Hypertech and just adjust everything with the Superchip and only adjust the TPMS with the Hypertech?

Or is there is an easier way?
Hypertech does not do TPMS disable. Superchips and Procal adjust for this. For what you are looking for, it is all available with the Superchips. You just run the risk of pinging in your engine...although I know a bunch of people that use it without that issue so not sure how widespread it really is.

With that said, adjusting shift points...there are two ways this can get accomplished. Once you mod your Jeep with bigger tires and/or swap gears, your shift points will be off because the speedo will be off. By using a programmer to adjust the speedo, it automatically brings the shift points back into line.

Now, if you want to further adjust your shift points (customize it), I believe the only 2 programmers that can do this for the Jk are the Diablo (which is way more advanced looking than what most of us need) and the Superchips. In order to get that functionality with the Superchips, you need to purchase an additional tune from the Superchips software. I believe it is another $50. I don't know anyone that has used it so can't comment on how it works.

So to summarize, based on your wish list, Superchips wins hands down since it does it all. Just be aware of some of the issues people are having with it. Search for Superchips in the modified section and there are million threads about it.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

You can run the procal unit with the Hypertech as long as you don't try and use the same adjustment for each programmer (i.e. dont adjust the speedo with both the hypertech and procal unit...only use one for each function). or you can keep hounding the Hypertech guys to add the TPMS feature...but don't hold your breath as we asked for that well over a year ago.

The procal is a nice tool because it does some features that some prgrammers won't do like disabling TPMS, daytime running lights, etc.. It is also an instant update when it connects to the Jeep unlike software programmers like Hypertech or Superchips which tend to take 5 minutes to 20 minutes to upload a tune. You WILL NOT get a performance tune with Procal, however, some people think they do see improvements...but its due to fixing the speedo when bigger tires or gears are installed. In essence, it fixes the shift points on autos back to where they should be which feels like performance improvements.

The Superchips tuner does everything the Hypertech does plus most of what the procal does. The main issue for people is that they are getting some pinging in their engines with various (or all of) tunes from the Superchips. I've never had any issues with mine so I can't complain.
Thanks mpkelly20,
I will hafta try the Hypertech/Procal combo after I get my lift kit paid off, and have saved up for the anticipated driveshafts, lol.
Also, if I remember correctly, my ProComp tuner will also adjust shift points on auto granny's as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jo-Ni-JK's

Thanks mpkelly20,
I will hafta try the Hypertech/Procal combo after I get my lift kit paid off, and have saved up for the anticipated driveshafts, lol.
Also, if I remember correctly, my ProComp tuner will also adjust shift points on auto granny's as well.
Sorry, bad typing, on my iPhone @ work
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

2 programmers that can do this for the Jk are the Diablo (which is way more advanced looking than what most of us need) and the Superchips.
Can you elaborate on the diablo? What does it do that the others don't? I tune gm stuff on the side for cash so for me to go to the lame-o handheld with a generic tune is going to suck.

Quick Reply: Hypertech time