Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech programmer

Old 08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech programmer

Who has added the hypertech programmer?what do you think of it? Would you suggest adding one with 3" lift 35" tires,dual tip cat back exhaust,cold air intake,or will i have enough extra boost from what im putting on now.this is on a 2 door 07 wrangler
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default hypertech

the hypertech programer is. The programer increased my gas milage big time i love it well worth the money. I am talking about 13.2 city to 16.5 and highway 16.7 to 19.9 thats a good improvement in my book
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read my signature and click the link.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

I can't give the Hypertech the same glowing reviews of others. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but outside of moderately clearing up some low end hesitation, I just don't find any big performance gains.

I'm unable to discern any differences between regular and premium settings outside the 20¢ extra a gallon it costs me. No mpg gains and no seat of the pants butt dyno improvement.

The speedo recal worked fine and was pretty close when I GPS checked it. I'm sure the slight variance was on my end, be it tire wear or my tire/wheel combination. I got it dialed in and I'm within 1mph.

I also installed a 180 degree T-stat and the re-calibration for the cooler T-stat seems to be fine. My jeep isn't a grocery getter so when it's rolling it's usually in the 30 minute plus cruises range and more than enough heat in the engine to evaporate any oil pan moisture.

An additional word of caution. Don't lock yourself in the vehicle when programming! It's an incredibly long procedure, in the 30 minute range, and nothing to do but watch the Hypertech patience meter. Definitely drape it out the window to help keep your sanity.

Again, I'm not all that happy with the Hypertech and the experience is totally different than the performance gains I had with a Superchips programmer on my Hemi Dodge Ram. Perhaps it's because I put into place intake and exhaust improvements before using the Hypertech which possibly addressed the rich running stock 3.8L engine beforehand.

I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on the Unichips programmer as it seems like the performance gains are more plentiful along with working better with other modifications. It's pretty pricey, but if it lives up to their claims it puts the Hypertech Max Energy programmer at a price point that equates to a really over priced Speedometer re-calibrator.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I absolutely love it. Money well spent.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Fallen Hero

Originally Posted by BIGDADDYJK
the hypertech programer is. The programer increased my gas milage big time i love it well worth the money. I am talking about 13.2 city to 16.5 and highway 16.7 to 19.9 thats a good improvement in my book
I cannot wait to program my jeep with this I am getting the same MPG's you were with 33's and 4.10's so we shall see what it does for my jeep when I get back.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Default My take

I had to take my jeep into the dealership last week to diagnose a rear locker failure. Before going to the dealership i had to reprogram the hypertech to stock (avoid warranty issues).

1. My acceleration was poor
2. On the freeway i have to go into overdrive to often to keep up w/traffic
3. My spedometer was off
4. Mpg is down

i have taken for granted my hypertech because i installed it over 4 mos ago. I also have a cold air intake and a throttle body spacer so i know the hypertech is making a difference.

I hate to say for sure what kind of mpg you will pick up because i have other mods. I think it would be safe to say most people will get at least 2mpg. The more expensive gas is the quicker it will pay for itself. Mine has already paid for itself, but this is a daily driver and i put 70-80 miles per day on it.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If you have money to blow, get it. Just don't expect to see a big boost. Otherwise, get the AccuPro, which will take care of gear and tire changes.

As for MPG gains: I've been very closely tracking mine and it's all over the map. I got 17.2 MPG at yesterdays fill-up, but have seen as low as 12.4 MPG. Worst mileage is Interstate driving. Best (the 17.2) is moderate speed highway (this is where the 55 MPH speed limit fans can chime in--both of you). City driving varies from 14 to 16 MPG. My conclusion: Short of running at least a couple dozen tank-fuls of gas, no one can discern a noticeable improvement. There are just too darned many variables (temperature, wind, vehicle configuration [top on?], gas quality, etc). For the record: 90% of my driving is city streets--weeks at a time. That's where that 14-16 is occurring.

BTW: I've been closely tracking my MPGs because I wanted to have six months of data to compare after switching it to premium. But, the unreliability of the data has convinced me that anyone making claims about MPG gains short of tightly controlled test conditions is kidding themselves.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
But, the unreliability of the data has convinced me that anyone making claims about MPG gains short of tightly controlled test conditions is kidding themselves.
I'll respectfully disagree with you on this one Mark.. I have kept my mileage in a spreadsheet since I got the JK in mid-march and out of 60 fill-ups, almost all have been +/- 1 from my cumulative average of 18.27, and the only ones that were extreme outliers were the wheeling trip to Disney and my 2372.1 mile vacation to Colorado.

I think it is safe to say that in-town driving is going to vary quite a bit, but for someone who drives on the highway a lot, trending gas mileage seems to be fairly predictable. The major variables I have found are speed and whether I have my top down/doors off. However, even with those variables I have yet to get over about a 1 MPG delta.

Attached is a chart with my mileage over the past 16143.1 miles. The high point is the long vacation trip, and the big drop is Disney. I'd say she is pretty consistent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JKMileage.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	12182  
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

And yes... I am a propeller-head who keeps spreadsheets on his phone.

Seriously, I'm probably going to get a Hypertech in the near future to determine whether there is a true impact or not, but I am hoping to get tires and I'd like to keep down to one variable at a time. FWIW, the 2" lift had very little impact on my mileage, as it went on in early July before my vacation.

Quick Reply: Hypertech programmer