Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech programer

Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech programer

Can you guys that have used a power programer let us other guys know if you thought it was worth it, did you notice a power difference, witch one you used, if you sold it then why.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

This has been asked and polled quite a few times, and there's no consistent answer. My experience with the Hypertech is that power gains are so subtle that I'd be hard-pressed to correctly determine whether mine has it installed or not during a blind test. So, my suggestion: If you can afford it, go ahead and buy it--it's just money. If you really would rather spend the bucks on some other mod, or you're just a tightwad who expects maximum value for every penny, get the Accupro to set your tires/gear ratios.

I'll also tell you what everyone else is going to say since, as I wrote just a moment ago, this is a pretty common question:

"It doesn't work worth a damn."
"It's very subtle, but there's a difference."
"I got a nice, little boost in power."
"I'm running premium setting and it's absolutely amazing how much the performance increased!"

That should about cover the gamut of answers.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Mark is correct about the range of answers you will receive.

I believe they are influenced by transmission type (auto or 6 spd), elevations (sea level or higher altitudes), tire size (32s vs. 35s), etc.

For me, with a 6 speed, living at 3200 ft above sea level, wheeling at up to 8000-9000 feet, with 35s and stock gears, there was noticable increased performance in mpg (2-3 mpg more at highway speeds) and engine/throttle responsiveness.

I do not regret my purchase.

However, if the $380 spent on the Hypertech materially delayed having the funds to re-gear, I would have waited.

Some people spend over $1.5k on intake, exhaust, headers, and tuner. In reality, the $1.5k would have been better spent on regearing.

Just a 2center thought. It would be better to do a regear, etc. like you mentioned above then do the programmer if desired. Reason? The computer would only have to learn once then you could see the "real" advantage. .... Or not.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Default power programer

Thanks guys, I have already done gears (5:13's), exhaust, intake (K&N) and the power programer was the last one I am going to do (till I can put a Hemi in it). So I wanted to see who had used what and what they thought.

Quick Reply: Hypertech programer