Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hypertech on manuals

Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypertech on manuals

hi all, ive heard that the hypertech max power, doesnt do much for manual jk's, i need opinions on this, ive ordered it for my manual and im wondering.... will anything change??
Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by SLeepY_BoY
hi all, ive heard that the hypertech max power, doesnt do much for manual jk's, i need opinions on this, ive ordered it for my manual and im wondering.... will anything change??
If you've changed gears/tires, then your speedo and computer can be fixed. As for the supposed performance boosts: Very difficult to ascertain by seat of the pants. My recommendation: If you can afford it, go ahead and get the Hypertech, what the heck. If money is an issue, go for the AccuPro and fix the speedo and computer mileagle readings/calc's.

BTW: I have never tried the premium setting, so cannot comment on that.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

I've held off on the hypertech for now. Going to install 4.88s soon and want to see what that does. I also have manual, don't want to waste money if it isn't noticeable.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a hypertech about 7 months ago, after I put on my lift and tires, and only used the regular setting up until 2 weeks ago. With regular gas, there really isnt much power difference i could feel, I was just happy to have the speedo back. But, then I got to thinking a 20 cent difference on nearly 4 bucks is nothing, so I tried the premium setting, and WOW, I can honestly telll a difference!

It pulls much more easily below 2000 rpms and then cruising at 60 mph, i can get up to 70 to pass much quicker. And now the best part, after 3 fill ups, my gas mileage has gone from 15 mpg mixed to nearly 18 mpg! This more then compensates for the 20 extra cents at the pump. I know others have had different experiences, but i hope this helps ya out.

Edit: Woohoo, I'm now an Enthusiast
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

i have the hypertech as well

the difference is huge when set to premium fuel level

with gas prices i took mine down to regular fuel level, diferrence is much less noticable

bottom line in my case there was a difference although minor, but it was there
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tyler2786
I bought a hypertech about 7 months ago, after I put on my lift and tires, and only used the regular setting up until 2 weeks ago. With regular gas, there really isnt much power difference i could feel, I was just happy to have the speedo back. But, then I got to thinking a 20 cent difference on nearly 4 bucks is nothing, so I tried the premium setting, and WOW, I can honestly telll a difference!

It pulls much more easily below 2000 rpms and then cruising at 60 mph, i can get up to 70 to pass much quicker. And now the best part, after 3 fill ups, my gas mileage has gone from 15 mpg mixed to nearly 18 mpg! This more then compensates for the 20 extra cents at the pump. I know others have had different experiences, but i hope this helps ya out.

Edit: Woohoo, I'm now an Enthusiast
I second the premium setting, I love it.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

I kept mine on the regular setting as it said in the manual not to use anything but regular gas. Im suspecting its really not a big deal If you use the good stuff. I have always been a do what the manual says kinda guy. You guys are all filling up with premium fuel and putting the hypertech to the premium setting then.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

thx guys, ive ordered it, what the heck, cant wait......
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a manual and love it!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

I'm running mine with the regular settings as I saw no appreciable difference with the premium setting, neither seat of the pants performance nor fuel economy. The regular setting never did much for me either outside of smooth out a little low end bog. If it weren't for getting the speedometer straightened out, I wouldn't miss it.

I'm reminded of this as I ran again without my Superchips on my Hemi Dodge Ram for the last couple weeks after downloading an update. I can feel a difference at idle. I need to gingerly step on the throttle to not cut the tires lose and having used the Superchips for more than a year, I can document my increase in mpg. I can change my settings in less than 5 minutes, and do so any time I feel I have a need to for towing, a long highway trip or just wanting to stomp the throttle a bit. That's not at all like the pain of resetting the Hypertech, and pray that you brought a couple of beers with you or a deck of cards if you do it trapped in the vehicle.

The Hypertech leaves a lot to be desired and it clearly is a poor programmer despite being the most full featured for the JK. There just isn't much competition, but if there was a Superchips Flashpaq available I'd be on it in a second with only a small fraction of the performance gain I've had with my Dodge Ram.

Quick Reply: hypertech on manuals