Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hypertech help...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok. what is a tpms and stacking?

allright. i'm lost now. what is a tpms, why do you wish to disable it, and lastly, what is aev doing with their reprogrammer that allows you to stack it with the hypertech?

yellow jeeps are cool too...
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skruffy
allright. i'm lost now. what is a tpms, why do you wish to disable it, and lastly, what is aev doing with their reprogrammer that allows you to stack it with the hypertech?

yellow jeeps are cool too...
TPMS- Tire Pressure monitoring System, So we can disable that annoying low pressure light on the dash... On 20080 and up models The AEV Programmer will allow us to disable this, And MUCH more!

Stacking- Means that we can use the AEV with the Hypertech and they should work in harmony with each other.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

thanks big guy.

wondered why that f-n' thing kept popping up on my display after i got rid of all my codes.

it usually only comes on when it gets cold.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skruffy
thanks big guy.

wondered why that f-n' thing kept popping up on my display after i got rid of all my codes.

it usually only comes on when it gets cold.
Tire pressure drops with colder temps causing the TPMS to trigger the warning light.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellow08rubicon
I have an 08 Rubicon automatic and I am only getting about 13 miles to a gallon with the programmer. I have a friend who has an 07 Sahara manual and he gets somewhere in the 17s to. I don't know what the problem with mine is.
Rubi (4.10 axle ratio) w/ auto vs: Sahara (3.73? axle ratio) w/ manual is not a valid comparison. Apples and oranges. Your auto trans is less efficient than a manual gear box and when you factor in the different tires and gear ratios you create even more of a split. You'll likely never match his mpg due to physics.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

hm... i have a 4 door, 6spd, 37" tires, 4.10 gears and the hypertech, my avg mpg is 20.3...

Last edited by DuDz40VT; 02-04-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also have 37" tires, stock Rubicon gears (4.10), and manual 6 speed, and find that depending on the tire size you program it to and the tire pressure in your tires the MPG varies greatly and the accuracy of your speedometer.

My tires are inflated to 33psi and Hypertec programed to 36" tires... at this combination speedometer seems to be accurate and MPG at about 15. When I ran 31psi speedo was about 1mpg off and MGP looked great at 18/19mpg, but was wrong.

So from my experience if you want to feel good about your perceived mpg then you can set it so, but it is just in your mind. First realize a 37" tire is not 37" tall at all tire pressures and differs by tire brand. My experience tells me that tire pressure affects how tall your tire sits as well. And my experience tells me that you can't just program it to the tire size printed on your tire.

If you verified your speedometer is accurate then the reported MPG should be accurate. Use a portable GPS that tells you your speed to compare. Other ways I can think of are not accurate.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverRubi2
I also have 37" tires, stock Rubicon gears (4.10), and manual 6 speed, and find that depending on the tire size you program it to and the tire pressure in your tires the MPG varies greatly and the accuracy of your speedometer.

My tires are inflated to 33psi and Hypertec programed to 36" tires... at this combination speedometer seems to be accurate and MPG at about 15. When I ran 31psi speedo was about 1mpg off and MGP looked great at 18/19mpg, but was wrong.

So from my experience if you want to feel good about your perceived mpg then you can set it so, but it is just in your mind. First realize a 37" tire is not 37" tall at all tire pressures and differs by tire brand. My experience tells me that tire pressure affects how tall your tire sits as well. And my experience tells me that you can't just program it to the tire size printed on your tire.

If you verified your speedometer is accurate then the reported MPG should be accurate. Use a portable GPS that tells you your speed to compare. Other ways I can think of are not accurate.
My worn 33" tires true out at just under 32". GPS vs speedo is within a fraction at 60mph. Computer showed an ave mpg of 16 in combined city/hwy but manual calculation of miles/gals yielded 14.3 mpg. Then again my computer mpg has never been real accurate. What I've found confirms your comments: small changes in the tire diameter entered will have rather large effects on mpg readout. Before I actually measured the true tire diameter and calibrated using the GPS I simply entered 33" (wrong) and the computer loved it - was showing over 19 mpg on the highway.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

hm... well completely stock my computer read 23mpg avg, then after i went up to 37's before the hypertech it read 16mpg, then when i added the hypertech i looked up the tire dimensions on their website and it said actual tire height is 36.9, so i ended up selecting 36.75 on the hypertech so it should be giving me a slightlyyyyyyyy lower mpg reading than my true reading...

i haven't factored in psi or taken an actual measurement of the tires so maybe one of these days i'll do that and see if i get different #'s

Quick Reply: hypertech help...