Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hypertech

Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
... if the use of a programmer voids the warranty, ...
I would really appreciate that if anyone has had their warranty "voided" by using a programmer on their JK, please provide the details. What does having the warranty "voided" mean? Can you put back the old firmware and have the work performed under warranty? How were you officially notified that the warranty was void? To what extent is the warranty voided? Engine? Tires? Brakes? Everything? And, most important, what dealership did this?

Personally, I'll be surprised if anyone says they've had the warranty "voided", but we'll see.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think having your warranty "voided" would start with the clown in the service dept. telling you that they've found edited code on the ECU and they will no longer cover the vehicle under the standard limited warranty. It would follow up with a letter from Jeep/DCX saying the same.

Someone with a StarSCAN needs to tell us exactly what Jeep can and cannot see from the ECU. If they can see a history of flashed software or anything along those lines, they could deny warranty and then you'd have to appeal to a higher power.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Although it wasn't a JK, I did not return to stock programming on my HD F-150 before taking it in for repairs. I was told that not only would they not cover the current problem, but any other issues in the future, because the computer had been modified from factory specs and they would not be able to determine if it was a factory defect or caused by the programmer.

Went home restorded factory settings and went to another dealer. I was told that my vin was in the system and would not be covered.

To each his own, not worth the risk to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

I noticed a whole lot of difference in the way mine shifted (automatic) after the Hypertech. It no longer goes crazy downshifting when the cruise is set and you go up a small hill. And now it doesn't just sit there when you put it in gear and let off the brake, it actually tries to move on it's own!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Kind of scares you to do anything! I just can't see running the 35s without the auto trans. tuned for shift points and potentially create strain and breakage that I will have to pay for that the warranty won't cover! Yes i agree, a complete catch 22!

My lift is still going on this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a friend that works as a service advisor for Jeep (He was actually laid off recently) and I asked him about the Hypertech specifically. My brother in law has the Hypertech on his Jeep with 34" tires and he gets 1-3 mpg better than me and I have STOCK tires, both Rubicon Unlimited Autos.

I was told that Chyrsler will void the warranty IF they find out. He said if you bring the Jeep there with the Hypertech installed, they will notice immediately. If you remove the program, they they have to be looking at the history in the computer to see if it was modified. They won't know that it was a hypertech programmer that was installed, but in the history of the computer, it will have indicators. If they suspect a programmer in the history, then they send it to Chrysler to have it read and will find out every change that was made. If they discover the Hypertech, Chrysler sends it back and voids the warranty.

In short, if you remove the Hypertech and go to the dealership to get an axle seal changed, then you are fine. If you remove the program and get service for a stalling vehicle, missing engine, failure to start or anything where they will be looking closely at the diagnostics, then you risk them finding the signature made by the Hypertech. It's up to the dealership to investigate if the signature was from a programmer.

I decided against it after talking to him.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Is anyone getting a better price than $379 for the Max Energy. There is a free shipping sale going at 4wd.com and quadratec.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kflash
Is anyone getting a better price than $379 for the Max Energy. There is a free shipping sale going at 4wd.com and quadratec.
Call David at Northridge 4x4 and let him know you are from the forum. He will hook you up. 364-340-0282
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

What good is a warranty if you can't void it! I'm doing the best I can to void mine out here in Dubai!!!

I just got 4.88 gears in my JK 2 door 6 speed running 35's and I plan to get the hypertech once I run in the gears!

Then next June I am getting a Rippmods supercharger. Will see what the stealership have to say about that one when I keep taking it in for its regular services!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiccaDubai
What good is a warranty if you can't void it! I'm doing the best I can to void mine out here in Dubai!!!

I just got 4.88 gears in my JK 2 door 6 speed running 35's and I plan to get the hypertech once I run in the gears!

Then next June I am getting a Rippmods supercharger. Will see what the stealership have to say about that one when I keep taking it in for its regular services!
You're right, warrantys are like pie crusts!

I'm pretty happy with my 3.8 with the Max Energy since it has hit 3K miles with the 6-speed and the 4.10 gears even on the 35's with the heavy bumpers, wheels, winch, and I'll be adding skid plates for even more weight.
I just changed to Mobil 1 5-20, seems a little stronger now.

Driving home moderately aggressively tonight, about 45 miles, regular fuel program, 5-15 mph over the speed limit of mostly 55, faster than all of the traffic (except for Lewis Hamilton's girlfriend Nicole in a minivan, that gal was haulin' butt), some long hills, small towns, passing some trucks, I got 16.2MPG with excellent driveability, throttle responce, and torque. Running the engine hard uphill in 4th up to 75mph was a smooth blast. This little engine ain't at all bad. It's hard to believe it's the same engine I picked up with the JK at the end of May.

JEEP could say "remove that Hypertec right now and we won't void your warranty" and I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.
I'd also tell them they should be ashamed for such a poor fuel/ignition program on a vehicle sold in the US.

But RIPP here I come! Then I will decide on the gears. Maybe 5.13s for the speed and the h-ll with the gas mileage.

I have no idea what 4WD vehicle I would buy if I couldn't modify it.

Quick Reply: Hypertech