Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hyper extended shocks?????

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper extended shocks?????

I have a 2.5 bb from Rough Country and 35'tires. I have noticed when I go over bumps the front seams to bounce a lot at all speeds(up and down no left and right movement). It isn't a DW because there is no movement in the steering wheel. The lift I got was the one without the longer shocks it came with the shock bracket extenders. I have disco's and I have noticed when I put the jeep on a lift that the front hangs down a lot lower then the rear from caused but the disco's being about 4 inch longer(connected). So the shocks take most of the weight of the axle. Right? So I was talking to someone that knows a lot about cars and he told me that he thinks I over extended or hyper extended my shocks. That I need a lot longer shocks since I have a lot more movement from the longer sway bar links(disco's). Anyone have this issue? I haven't got around to checking the track bar torque but the track bar being loose would cause a left to right movement and not up and down. So don't think its that.

So the question is with a 2.5 lift would it be ok to go to a 3-4 lift shock to compensate the long range of movement that happens with the longer sway bar links (disco's)? And would bad shocks cause the problem that I am having in the front?

Last edited by deltaneo1; 03-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

What size tires are you runnin and what psi in them? To answer your question, yes you can run longer shocks.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKDakotaEd
What size tires are you runnin and what psi in them? To answer your question, yes you can run longer shocks.
Whoops, saw that your runnin 35s
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKDakotaEd
Whoops, saw that your runnin 35s
yeah 35's with 28 psi in them now. I was at 32psi and brought them down to 28 and it helped out some but didn't get rid of it.
How much longer should I go??? I was thinking shocks that are for 3-4 inch of lift ( I only have 2.5 of lift) but would I run into bottoming out the shock when I hit the trail?

Last edited by deltaneo1; 03-10-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, if your lift came with shock extensions then you are probably close to the factory height. Shocks do not take the direct weight of your rig. Your coil springs do that. Shocks only smooth the load transfer from the road.

The BB keeps your stock springs. The extenders keep your stock shocks. Your jeep should ride near stock except for your tires.

Remember that longer shocks could end up loosing a coil spring if they are too long and you disconnect your sway bar links.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Uh, if your lift came with shock extensions then you are probably close to the factory height. Shocks do not take the direct weight of your rig. Your coil springs do that. Shocks only smooth the load transfer from the road.

The BB keeps your stock springs. The extenders keep your stock shocks. Your jeep should ride near stock except for your tires.

Remember that longer shocks could end up loosing a coil spring if they are too long and you disconnect your sway bar links.
yeah but the springs are not locked in and the sway bar links allow more drop since they are longer so the shock is what stops the axle from dropping farther. The shock is what takes the weight now from what I see when I put it on a lift . I know the track bar and other parts are there but I can see when I put it on a lift the shocks are fully extended.

I need to get some coil retainers for the tops and bottoms of the springs so that they don't pop out if I go with longer shocks.
I should show you a pic when i put the jeep on a car lift the front hangs down about a 1 foot or more lower then the rear. So when its in the air it looks like the front has a massive lift kit and the rear has a little lift. So i know those shocks are taking weight.

Last edited by deltaneo1; 03-10-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Hyper extended shocks?????