Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Conversion Kits.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Burning gasoline produces lots of water in the cylinders, too. You can see it dripping from the tail pipe before it warms up.
Burning anything will produce some condensation in a cold cylinder, but water is not a byproduct of burning gas like it is when burning hydrogen. Not only that but I would think that burning gas to power an engine, to power an alternator, to charge a battery, to make some hydrogen would be very inefficient. I don't think it is physically possible to make more power from the hydrogen created than the gas power wasted just to create to make the hydrogen. Wouldn't that be similar a perpetual machine? My opinion is that these attachments are a hoax and will only cost more money and do more damage than provide any real gains. So I won't put one on my engine that is not designed to run hydrogen. Hydrogen cars work, but they are designed to run it.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreadHijacker
Burning anything will produce some condensation in a cold cylinder, but water is not a byproduct of burning gas like it is when burning hydrogen. Not only that but I would think that burning gas to power an engine, to power an alternator, to charge a battery, to make some hydrogen would be very inefficient. I don't think it is physically possible to make more power from the hydrogen created than the gas power wasted just to create to make the hydrogen. Wouldn't that be similar a perpetual machine? My opinion is that these attachments are a hoax and will only cost more money and do more damage than provide any real gains. So I won't put one on my engine that is not designed to run hydrogen. Hydrogen cars work, but they are designed to run it.
Water sure is a byproduct of burning gasoline, for the exact same reason it is when burning hydrogen.
The hydrogen in the gasoline combines with oxygen and produces water.

I agree with the rest of your post.If it were really as good as people who have done it claim, they would still be doing it, along with everyone else in the world.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default i did alot of this work about 5 years ago

there were no findings, we developed s system that made morre hydrgen than thought possible using stainless plates coating with nano particles 9the increased surface area was more than could be handled)

while thsi was under development, we went to a company that works with CARB, we tested 2 platforms to start with, a cummins QSM (diesel) and a 5.3l gm V8. for this test we hooked them up to a dyno and ran them fro an hour to establish baseline, we actually used hydrogen from a tank so we could measure the exact amount metered into the motor. we were measuring over 50 parameters including the emissions to measure the burn rate of the fuel (the fuel was calibrated and exact for the control).

we measured a few instances that were "toggeled" on and off of minor power and efficiency, but the rate of hydrogen required to do this was massive and not maintainable.

without getting too long winded, we ran over 24 hours of tests on a dyno and found nothing.......except that we were told a a manufacturer that if we shared our results that they would sue us.....lol
Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

I'm glad you started this thread, I've been tossing this idea around in my head. I think we've come pretty far with the technology since I saw mechanical engineers designing fuel cells as their entry level projects in school.

Now I think some of the people here have a point in warning against adverse effects on your engine due to introducing a new fuel system. Not that you would notice the effects right away, but I would suspect some additional wear, some more rust, and more battery replacements if not accounted for.

As for the dangers of hydrogen, I think that's the big thing holding it back from being mainstream. While we want something more energy efficient we do not want something more combustable(Irony?). This is why I think the focus has been more towards electric propulsion rather than hydrogen.

If I get courageous enough and have enough time, I'll try it out and report my findings. But for right now I'm just trying to find a JK for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I kinda don't know where to start.

First off, with a hydrogen generator setup you are not storing hydrogen, you are producing hydrogen for immediate use.

Secondly, it has a much better effect in older vehicles, such as carburated models due to the fact that you can manually lean up your gasoline. The new computers only allow hydrogen to be effective when it comes to the pedal, meaning that because of the much quicker combustion of it, the motor produces more power and torque. So you don't have to push so hard on the pedal.

Third, It has been successfully implemented several times and in several different uses. In the 70s is where it was first implemented by a guy who was running what looked like a VW rail solely on hydrogen(the news video is on Youtube). Trying not to get into conspiricy theories, he later released plans for his generator and soon after died and the car was never found. Based off of his plans hydrogen welders are still used(little expensive). The problem is he used a specific metal, wiring, ampage, pulse pattern, etc.(that nobody knows) to generate enough hydrogen to run a small combustion engine. As of now the only engines I have seen that can run on current designs are lawnmower engines.

That being said a hydrogen assisted gas/deisel engine can have some benifit, but the current electronics in our vehicles prevent this. Oxygen sensors are designed to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio to prevent detonation. This means that the computer system would have to be tricked/bypassed to allow for the full gain of a fuel/hydrogen hybrid. In carburated engines there have been over 100% gains in fuel economy using this setup due to the lack of a computer system.

Do your homework on this and you will be surprised what you will find.

Last edited by Blade; 05-22-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Conversion Kits.