Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Conversion Kits.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrogen Fuel Cell Conversion Kits.

So I've been looking at ways to increase my mpg recently and stumbled across the topic of hydrogen fuel cell conversion kits that you can add to your vehicle to increase gas mileage if properly installed. Has anyone done any research on this, done it themselves or think its a complete scam? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

If you are talking about the jar of water that puts out hydrogen gas...
It's one of those things where if it were a real benefit, everyone would be using it.

If you are talking about real hydrogen fuel cells...
Way to expensive to convert to electric power.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a couple ways to increase gas mileage.

Only one of them is really that cost effective.

Option 1: Diesel conversion. Unless you plan to drive a hell of a lot, the cost to install one of these outweighs the benefit of added MPG, thus the REAL reason to get one is for power (though the added mpgs are nice)

option 2: a real hydrogen powered car. This would be extremely expensive and possibly dangerous.

option 3: Electric car. The cost to convert would be extremely expensive, though you get instant torque.

option 4: lower your jeep, modify the body so it's not a rolling brick. (just... don't do this)

option 5: Control your foot.

Take your pick.

Last edited by Christarp; 01-31-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Ya I was referring to the jar method, but not one that was really "primitive" you could say. Is there a reason as to why this wouldn't work? I understand (at least I think I do lol) the concept of HHO being more combustible and that you would in turn lean your fuel to achieve the most amount of mpg. Does the problem lie with the inability to create enough HHO in order to make it actually work?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Well I'd like to retain my manhood so I'll stay away from lowering the jeep and getting a Prius...I do drive pretty easy as well, never break 65 mph and I'm not a lead foot. Just with gas increasing here a little bit I was looking for an option and this popped up.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

honestly, I don't see any way of increasing the gas mileage out of a jeep that doesn't cost thousands of dollars to do. The method of getting hydrogen from water is just really slow, and while it technically "works" (that's why they can sell it I think), it's so little that it basically does nothing. It's just not feasible to create hydrogen from water in a modern car, you need a specially designed machine to do it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Uh, just to put my .02.
=I think HHO convertors are toxic to the environment since a catalyst left in open air or worse, lost in water would continue to convert H2O to HHO/02....forever. Honda makes/made a Hydrogen vehicle that required a special kind of water -not tap water to work but could not sell it due to EPA regulations, I think....so they ended up doing 4 yr leases only with return of merchandise complete at the end of term. I'm not sure but the issue we're addressing borders on the theory of clean renewable energy and that wouldn't fit in very well with profitability or quarterly sales profits.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

And then you have to ask: Does the power consumed getting the hydrogen out of the water exceed the power gained by burning the hydrogen?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mythbusters did a gas savings episode once. Pretty sure the only 'real' way to up your mpg's was to tailgate a semi. Probably not the safest! But they definitely busted the hydrogen bottle, fuel additives, intake cyclone, etc. Not to say they won't help in other ways, but from an mpg standpoint they didn't help.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Back to the OP question, has anyone here tried the science on thier JK? Had a good friend in Washington state who put it on his Dodge van, 318. Said before it was T-boned he was getting 35 MPG with a homemade unit under the hood. Said the only issue was a sequence system to shut the unit down minutes before you were going to turn vehicle off to allow for moisture to be worked out of cylinders.............rust never sleeps. I am very interested to see if someone has tried it and the results.

So far sounds like tire kickers not test drivers..................data please

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Conversion Kits.