Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hydro Assit or Fox ATS

Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Until today, I thought the PR44 generally came loaded with the 35 spline ARB and 35 spline shafts. I was informed that most are 30 spline. GTFO?? I was then further informed that lots of people are twisting the splines on the 30 spline setup. Even more interesting is that RCV won't warranty them until there is more than 30 degrees of twist. haha. Apparently, it won't damage anything to run it like that. However, you have to pull the shaft to see it and then it won't go back in. Hey, if they sold it for $2500, I'd have a different perspective.
The people having problems probably weren't running a proper stabilizer such as the fox ATS. I always tell people, if you're gonna do it, do it right, and do it right in the first place....
Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM
goo
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Until today, I thought the PR44 generally came loaded with the 35 spline ARB and 35 spline shafts. I was informed that most are 30 spline. GTFO?? I was then further informed that lots of people are twisting the splines on the 30 spline setup. Even more interesting is that RCV won't warranty them until there is more than 30 degrees of twist. haha. Apparently, it won't damage anything to run it like that. However, you have to pull the shaft to see it and then it won't go back in.

Hey, if they sold it for $2500, I'd have a different perspective.
Not sure why that is surprising, the PR44 uses the stock knuckles and unit bearings with 32 spline stubs and 1350 ujoints max. I've never seen a 35 spline dana 44 front axle shaft but only the inner shaft would be 35 spline and I imagine it would taper down to 32 or 30 spline at some point. Although if it's 1.5" at the spline that might help to prevent the spline twisting you're talking about.

I also think you're looking at aftermarket 44s the wrong way. It's not supposed to be an alternative to a dana 60. It's supposed to be an alternative to building up your stock axles which I've seen you recommend. Take a dana 30 and add a truss, gussets, ball joints, 30 spline locker, 30 spline shafts, and gears, and you are into it for 3k or more. Take a rubicon crate axle and add a truss, gussets, ball joints, and gears, and you are into it for 3k or more again. Some people would rather spend an extra $7-900 bucks and get a fully built aftermarket housing Truck and Jeep Parts Home » Drivetrain & Differentials » Complete Axle Assemblies » JK Core 44 Lifted Front With 5.38 ratio and 35 Spline ARB Air Locker JK Core 44 Lifted Front With 5.38 ratio and 35 Spline ARB Air Locker

I know your post was directed at the PR44 and I agree most of those setups are over priced. But there are aftermarket 44 setups out there that aren't much more expensive than paying somebody to build up your stock axle if you can't install a truss, gussets, gears, or lockers yourself (which is 99% of the JK community).
Old 12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goo

Not sure why that is surprising, the PR44 uses the stock knuckles and unit bearings with 32 spline stubs and 1350 ujoints max. I've never seen a 35 spline dana 44 front axle shaft but only the inner shaft would be 35 spline and I imagine it would taper down to 32 or 30 spline at some point. Although if it's 1.5" at the spline that might help to prevent the spline twisting you're talking about.

I also think you're looking at aftermarket 44s the wrong way. It's not supposed to be an alternative to a dana 60. It's supposed to be an alternative to building up your stock axles which I've seen you recommend. Take a dana 30 and add a truss, gussets, ball joints, 30 spline locker, 30 spline shafts, and gears, and you are into it for 3k or more. Take a rubicon crate axle and add a truss, gussets, ball joints, and gears, and you are into it for 3k or more again. Some people would rather spend an extra $7-900 bucks and get a fully built aftermarket housing Truck and Jeep Parts Home » Drivetrain & Differentials » Complete Axle Assemblies » JK Core 44 Lifted Front With 5.38 ratio and 35 Spline ARB Air Locker JK Core 44 Lifted Front With 5.38 ratio and 35 Spline ARB Air Locker

I know your post was directed at the PR44 and I agree most of those setups are over priced. But there are aftermarket 44 setups out there that aren't much more expensive than paying somebody to build up your stock axle if you can't install a truss, gussets, gears, or lockers yourself (which is 99% of the JK community).
You are correct. The outer shafts available for the prorock and also stock d44 last i checked taper down on the outer and arent the same size as a true 35 spline. So its arguable what you gain.... Thats a quote from dynatrac if i recall.

Also your price comparisons are to shops doing work not a diy guy. I agree prorocks are premade and have ease. Many (not all) guys who get then dont build there rigs and want easy. Its all shop made and at that point saves on labor costs. Would i do it no... Would alot of the jk crowd? Sadly yes.

Last edited by Maertz; 12-02-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:33 PM
goo
JK Newbie

Even if you do all your own work this is what a D30 build comparable to the G2 axle I linked would cost:

30 spline arb $1k
30 spline chromoly shafts $800
Gears $250
Install kit $200
truss and gussets $200
ball joints $200
labor $0

total $2600

So I think there is actually a lot of value in some of these aftermarket 44s. My axle guy quoted me $3700 on a rock jock 44 build. At $1100 more than building up my d30 I think that's a no brainer.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goo
Even if you do all your own work this is what a D30 build comparable to the G2 axle I linked would cost:

30 spline arb $1k
30 spline chromoly shafts $800
Gears $250
Install kit $200
truss and gussets $200
ball joints $200
labor $0

total $2600

So I think there is actually a lot of value in some of these aftermarket 44s. My axle guy quoted me $3700 on a rock jock 44 build. At $1100 more than building up my d30 I think that's a no brainer.
For a shit set up... I have about 1k in my rear 60 and its full float 5.38 on custom chromoly 35 spline shafts and solid axle spindles fully locked and trussed with abs. My front i have about 2500 max (even counting hydro assist) and it's fully locked and 35 spline and trussed d60 also 5.38 with hubs...so hmmmm same price or less for a built d60? Yeah ill take that....now subtract the money i got for my rubi d44s and i spent like a grand for fully built Front AND rear d60s..no brainer imo... Hell most spend triple that on a lift and quadruple that on a lift and tires... Feel free to spend double to triple that on just a front d30 if you feel its a no brainer.. Ill still call you stupid all day.

Last edited by Maertz; 12-02-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 PM
goo
JK Newbie

Meant to imply that opting for a 44 instead of throwing money into your 30 was a no brainer. And for guys who have d30 axles stock it might make more sense to go with an aftermarket 44 than a built up rubi depending on what kind of prices you can get. IMO there are legitimate reasons for all these aftermarket 44s, and there's clearly a market for them. I do understand the "you could do X for cheaper" sentiments. But if we all took that advice as seriously as we claim to, not a single one of us would even be driving a JK in the first place.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another consideration is a lot of guys just want to run 35's but also feel comfortable using the go pedal. A built 44 or PR44 is a good solution even if pricey it'll work and drop in easy.

You guys who have the ability to build a 60 are lucky! The rest of us have to drop $10k on the mopar axles to get there, lol
Old 12-03-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by goo
Meant to imply that opting for a 44 instead of throwing money into your 30 was a no brainer. And for guys who have d30 axles stock it might make more sense to go with an aftermarket 44 than a built up rubi depending on what kind of prices you can get. IMO there are legitimate reasons for all these aftermarket 44s, and there's clearly a market for them. I do understand the "you could do X for cheaper" sentiments. But if we all took that advice as seriously as we claim to, not a single one of us would even be driving a JK in the first place.
This i do agree with and is why earlier i said the part about premade and how many people will not diy.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by goo

Surprising because most axles are the same spline inner and outer or the inner has more. I guess for me, it is more logical to break a shaft outside of the housing... And you can upgrade to a 35 spline when you buy a prorock, so why not?

I don't advocate building up a D30/44. If you polish a turd, you still have a turd. However, let me first ask the question of, what do you get for $5k in a PR44?

Stronger housing: Yes. Did you need it? Not likely. 99% of people would never bend or break the stock housing. 99.999% of people would never bend or break a trussed housing.

Same weak unit bearings that were meant for 32" tires? Yes.

Same small ball joints meant for 32" tires? Yes. And based on the data I see, the expensive aftermarket ball joints are not lasting as long as stock ball joints. In fact, most are failing faster.

Small and insufficient brakes? No doubt.

Again, I don't advocate to spend money on a stock housing. If you really do wheel hard, then yes, I say toss on some gussets and a truss for $250. If the stock axle is not sufficient for your application, then you need to step up to a larger axle. Again, the PR44 addresses none of the shortcomings that most people struggle with. And in the off chance you manage to damage a stock housing, you can buy another housing for next to nothing.

I'm not saying go drop $12k on UD60s or build JY axles. I'm saying for the value one gets from a PR44, it should cost under $2500. And in addition, that there is little to no logic ins pending the money since you really don't get anything you need.

Last edited by Invest2m4; 12-03-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Another consideration is a lot of guys just want to run 35's but also feel comfortable using the go pedal. A built 44 or PR44 is a good solution even if pricey it'll work and drop in easy.

You guys who have the ability to build a 60 are lucky! The rest of us have to drop $10k on the mopar axles to get there, lol
I'll build you axles. Send me an order.

Quick Reply: Hydro Assit or Fox ATS