Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hydro Assist (WTO) Steering Feel & Return to Center

Old 11-04-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a fried pump. Doesn't take much to fry it if the system isn't properly bled. It takes a bit of patience to bleeed the system
Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replys, Im running the Synergy Tie rod, can I assume that would be sufficient to handle Hydro? I already have the PSC tie rod clamp for Hyrdo that I believe fits the Synergy size tie rod. Also I am running a good condition OEM draglink and don't want to do a flip, I'm hoping that the ram takes a lot of pressure off of the drag link, would there be any reason to upgrade? I've had good luck just using low mileage takeoff OEM drag links and replacing them when the ends or adjuster wear out.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That is definitely not normal. There is something going on in the high pressure side. I'm assuming you tapped the stock box? The vane is really small and depending how you drilled you may not have opened it up enough. Or, there is an obstruction like a metal chip is jammed in there. You should be able to push 500 lb rocks around while not moving.
def didn't hit the 1 vein perfectly. I was wondering if that little bit could've been the problem. The stroke on the ram is also about a half inch too long so I have it mounted so it's maxed out turning driver and have spacer on the shaft so it doesn't fully compress. I know it's bled completely though and the pump is working fine. I'll drop the box and see if I can get the hole drilled out a bit more
Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Thanks for all the replys, Im running the Synergy Tie rod, can I assume that would be sufficient to handle Hydro? I already have the PSC tie rod clamp for Hyrdo that I believe fits the Synergy size tie rod. Also I am running a good condition OEM draglink and don't want to do a flip, I'm hoping that the ram takes a lot of pressure off of the drag link, would there be any reason to upgrade? I've had good luck just using low mileage takeoff OEM drag links and replacing them when the ends or adjuster wear out.
I'm not a fan of the Synergy for hydro assist. Flexes way too much. It won't stay bent, but it is like a wet noodle when wheeling. It also has too much tie rod roll for hydro.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I'm not a fan of the Synergy for hydro assist. Flexes way too much. It won't stay bent, but it is like a wet noodle when wheeling. It also has too much tie rod roll for hydro.
Thanks, any tie rods in that price point that you'd recommend?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Thanks, any tie rods in that price point that you'd recommend?
No. If you spend a little more you can get what you need.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the WTO setup. Great setup for the price.
Does need a little help on the return to center but not much. Same as the others said. Small lag trying to park sometimes.
I run the ruff stuff tie rod. Never did like a ram pushing in the middle of the tie rod. To me it is just asking to be bent. Set mine up to push at the knuckle instead and it feels way more solid when turning in the rocks.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Caster has a lot to do with return to center if you are running a lot of lift without caster correcting the axle the return to center will be slow. Pumps, pullys, ram size and stroke will all have an affect on how the hydraulic assist works. Ideally you want a set up that gives you power for slow crawling but still has a good response and not too twitchy or sensitive while on the highway at higher rpm's. It may take some time with set up and different components to get the perfect set up if you are picky about the steering feel.

The ruff stuff do it your self tie rod works fine and is cheap with assist. They run a sale for every holiday or event as well that makes it even cheaper. I just picked up a kit last week for $103.20 to put on my JKU.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the poor steering at idle topic, mine was terrible, but I run a 1.75x8" ram which is larger than most.

A PSC pump cleared that right up.

The stock pump does OK with smaller rams.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TweakJK
On the poor steering at idle topic, mine was terrible, but I run a 1.75x8" ram which is larger than most. A PSC pump cleared that right up. The stock pump does OK with smaller rams.
I would assume a fair amount of people with hydro have a tuner for tire and gear ratio correction, if so you can turn your idle up. I have mine set at 1000 and it drives much better, I works assume it souls help with the increased flow needed for the larger ram.

Quick Reply: Hydro Assist (WTO) Steering Feel & Return to Center