Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hydro Assist (WTO) Steering Feel & Return to Center

Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hydro Assist (WTO) Steering Feel & Return to Center

I am looking to upgrade to a Redneck Ram system soon on my 07 2DR JKR with 37s. What is the steering feel with hydro on a 2 door vs without. Does the steering still return to center without manually moving it there? How does bad caster affect the steering with hydro compared to without?

My main reasons for upgrading are for easier steering in the big rocks and to relieve stress on pitman arm and sector shaft. I've seen a couple break on the trail and its a nightmare. Also after 108K miles of rocks and dirt the box could definitely use a rebuild, I intend on going with the stage 2 kit. Anyone installed a WTO kit and would have done something different? I intend to add an inline cooler, otherwise will run what comes in the kit w/ 1.5" Ram.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything you are saying makes sense and are on the right track. That 1.5 ram works great with the stock pump. I've gotten my jeep up to 90 mph with one finger on the wheel. On the rocks with heavy 37 trail grapplers is effortless to say the least even locked front and rear you can turn a little just don't force it. Get a single pass heatsink cooler. I use a 17" one. I don't trust the lines from WTO so I made my own using aeroquip hoses and fittings. You can use the hoses WTO sends you as trail spares. WTO are good peeps and do good work. I've been running the system for 2 years with no problems. The steering does still return to center but slower than stock
Old 11-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I am looking to upgrade to a Redneck Ram system soon on my 07 2DR JKR with 37s. What is the steering feel with hydro on a 2 door vs without. Does the steering still return to center without manually moving it there? How does bad caster affect the steering with hydro compared to without?

My main reasons for upgrading are for easier steering in the big rocks and to relieve stress on pitman arm and sector shaft. I've seen a couple break on the trail and its a nightmare. Also after 108K miles of rocks and dirt the box could definitely use a rebuild, I intend on going with the stage 2 kit. Anyone installed a WTO kit and would have done something different? I intend to add an inline cooler, otherwise will run what comes in the kit w/ 1.5" Ram.
I'm running a WTO with 1.5" ram and cooler. Mine will start return to center, but you have t give I little help. Besides being great in the rocks, , I love it. I especially like that in crosswinds or when I hit a bump in the road the steering wheel stays EXACTLY where I have t.

Edit -I agree with Monte, either get your own hoses or ask for hoses that are 48".

Last edited by jedg; 11-04-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

You guys have sticks or autos? Any issue with low idle turning?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
Stick and no. You get some lag when you turn the wheel fast one way and then turn fast the other like Pulling into a parking space. In the rocks I don't notice any lag at all
Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sea bass
Automatic. Occasionally in a parking lot tight turn but not often.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Aside from gears and lockers best mod I ever did. I would never run stock steering in an off-road rig again
Old 11-04-2016, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough flow or something... mine still takes a good amount of input to turn, and in rocks I still have to rock the jeep to get it to turn. Over bumps and such my steering wheel still moves. My tires are a bit imbalanced and the steering wheel shakes. Any recommendations?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough flow or something... mine still takes a good amount of input to turn, and in rocks I still have to rock the jeep to get it to turn. Over bumps and such my steering wheel still moves. My tires are a bit imbalanced and the steering wheel shakes. Any recommendations?
That is definitely not normal. There is something going on in the high pressure side. I'm assuming you tapped the stock box? The vane is really small and depending how you drilled you may not have opened it up enough. Or, there is an obstruction like a metal chip is jammed in there.

You should be able to push 500 lb rocks around while not moving.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Yup...like Invest said, something's not right. My steering wheel only moves when I move it and I, in fact, can push rocks out of the way with the wheels.

Quick Reply: Hydro Assist (WTO) Steering Feel & Return to Center