Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hyd. steering assist????

Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=chuck45;979296]Just spoke to Billie at Redneck Ram. The cost is 499, but if your unit is relatively new, as our JK's are, you probably don't need the steering box rebuild that is included in the 499 cost. The rebuild is 140 so the cost becomes 359! 359!!!!

That includes the ram, hoses, heims, weld on tabs, modifying your parts to mod your steering pump for more volume and pressure, drilling and tapping your steering box for the hoses, needed hyd fitting and instructions.

thats a good price but how is it at highway speeds love to have it but still drive my jeep alot on the road
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backroadman81

thats a good price but how is it at highway speeds love to have it but still drive my jeep alot on the road
I would suggest that you do what I did; do a Google search on "Redneck Ram" and follow the links. There are several reviews and quite a few forum posts (on various brands of vehicles) that give good reviews. Most comment on improved road performance. The ram seems to act as a high performance steering stabilizer. I don't recall any criticism of it's road performance except in one instance where it was improperly filled and all the air wasn't worked out of the system. Once that was done things became better than stock.

Road performace can be affected by ram size. There are two sizes available; 1.50 and 1 .75". I gather that for 35" and down the 1.50 works very well and for 37" and up the 1.75" is recommended especially if you do a good bit of off roading in rocks. I have 35's but will go with the 1.75" as I'm going to go to 37's and even with the 35's dry slickrock has so much traction that the 1.75 would work well. The only downside to the 1.75 is that on the street the steering can feel a little slower. An added plus for the hyd assisted steering is that you add a lot of fluid volume to your system so it runs cooler. Also the kit comes with plugs for the steering box ports so that if your ram leaks or is damaged or your hoses are cut you can plug the ports and revert to stock.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Redneck Ram kit on my other rig... I drilled and tapped the box and originally went with a 2" ram. Figured out it was too big and went down to a 1.5" ram and it worked a lot better with my 38" X 15.50" tires. Only problem is the pump couldn't keep up. I replaced the pump with a high performance unit (forget the name) and it works like a champ now. It took me a while to dial it in, so when it came down to my JK I wanted a matched system.

I have had the hydro for over a year now and when I called PSC they told me I have one of the 1st generation units. It works great until I launched the Jeep 4 feet in the air and the mini-van motor A/C unit hit the PSC unit, which cut my fanbelt, and tore off all my A/C lines... LOL PSC has sent me a new unit (still not installed) so the clearance will not be so tight with the motor. They also sent me a smaller pulley and belt since I have a 6speed and their system was designed for an automatic.

The PSC unit is pricey (probably over-priced) but at the time I did know of any other options... such as the reckneck. Does Howe have a kit for the JK yet?

Quick Reply: hyd. steering assist????