Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

hyd. steering assist????

Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hyd. steering assist????

I was looking at the PSC hyd steering assist. anyone have it and some pics. If so is installing it as easy as advertised.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi

How much lift do you have that you would need it?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by backroadman81
I was looking at the PSC hyd steering assist. anyone have it and some pics. If so is installing it as easy as advertised.
I was visiting with the owner of a 4wd shop in Rifle CO and he mentioned that he's put a number of the PSC units on JK's. Apparently the steering gearbox shaft sheared off. He thinks that playing in the rocks with big tires overstresses the shaft causing it to shear. The solution was the PSC unit which includes a beefed up JK box. It takes a lot of the load off the shaft and gives it to the piston. To answer your question he said it could be done by someone with good mechanical skills but that not everyone could do it.

It is an expensive mod at around 1700.00 There is a unit available out of Texas that is a lot less expensive. Does anyone know how that one does?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

If you do rockcrawling and been in situations where you cannot turn, then this mod is for you. I have hydro assist on my JK because I have it on my other trail rig and cannot image not wheeling with hydro assit. It is expensive but well worth it IMHO. Fairly easy to install.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

use the search on previous threads I know there has been a problem if you have a 2 dr manual
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45

It is an expensive mod at around 1700.00 There is a unit available out of Texas that is a lot less expensive. Does anyone know how that one does?
I spoke to PSC the other day. I think you can get the kit a lot cheaper if you send in some of your parts (steering gear, I think). Give them a call directly.
I broke an axle and blew the steering pump last week. I would have done PSC's steering kit, but I spent all my $$ on chromoly axles and u joints (Northridge special), so I just replaced the pump w/OEM for now.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just had mine replaced by dealer. The gear and pump went bad. No extreme wheeling but the factory pump is just not a strong pump at all.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Woody99
If you do rockcrawling and been in situations where you cannot turn, then this mod is for you. I have hydro assist on my JK because I have it on my other trail rig and cannot image not wheeling with hydro assit. It is expensive but well worth it IMHO. Fairly easy to install.
I've been in situations where I could not turn until I got rolling again. I felt that if I tried to turn any harder somethig would give. Last weekend I was spotting my wife thru a difficult spot and she shouts out the window "the wheel won't turn". I told her not to force it and got her moving again but it is something I worry about. I know all the buggies around her have hyd ram steering.

Does anybody have any experience with the Redneck Ram by West Texeas Off Road? I'm going to call them but it looks like something can be done for as little as 500.00.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

How are the on road manners?

Right now i have 3.25 lift w/35's

Didn't find at problems on other threads but i'll look again

Last edited by backroadman81; 03-03-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Just spoke to Billie at Redneck Ram. The cost is 499, but if your unit is relatively new, as our JK's are, you probably don't need the steering box rebuild that is included in the 499 cost. The rebuild is 140 so the cost becomes 359! 359!!!!

That includes the ram, hoses, heims, weld on tabs, modifying your parts to mod your steering pump for more volume and pressure, drilling and tapping your steering box for the hoses, needed hyd fitting and instructions.

I'm looking at the results of a Google search and haven't found any negatives on their unit. I'm sure the PSC unit is a great unit but if this unit is good it is a fraction of the cost. They have a 3 or 4 day turnaround.

Quick Reply: hyd. steering assist????