Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hutchinson v method beads DOT

Old 05-15-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hutchinson v method beads DOT

Method beadlocks are marked on box "not for highway use" and not DOT approved as are the hutchinsons. Not my DD but would like to know people's experiences traveling over 60mph on methods so I can avoid any issues. I'm sure getting DOT approved costs the co. some $$ so is it just a matter of that or something else that makes the hutchinsons different? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as a DOT standard for beadlock wheels. Even AEV's own "Beadlock myths and misconceptions" says this. They stated that their DOT approved beadlocks were sent to DOT for the normal testing completed on all wheels (wheel construction, radial fatigue, impact and cornering fatigue). What they did mention is there are some states that it is illegal to run multi piece wheels, no matter if they happen to be beadlocks or not. Just because a Beadlock is not DOT approved does not make it illegal on the street. Just FYI.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

I have method beadlocks on my DD. 37's

No issue never found a loose ring bolt. Very happy. 20k miles per year

Northridge 4x4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-124345809.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	678.0 KB
ID:	647220  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

Its just about the cost of getting it certified. I run methods without issue. Almost all aftermarket products are going to be marked as for offroad use only.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Don't know about the Hutchinson wheel as far as issues, never heard anything bad but I-myself plus my son are running the Methods and we love them, no issues at all and run as high as 75mph on the highway, we've been running them for 2 years now. One thing tho, my son is running a MT 35" Claw and the rings fit fine out of the box, mine tho are 37" MT MTZ-P3's and they have a thicker bead so measure your bead (mine was 0.800) cuz if it's that thick you'll need ring spacers but no issues on them at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3476135387.jpg
Views:	3087
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	647271  

Last edited by diablo; 05-16-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Just put methods on last weekend and love them, no issues and I am running 37s. Just make sure you check torque on the bolts. I did need the spacers for my cooper stt pros.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160519_023403.png
Views:	1925
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	647502
Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

I ran method 105 bed locks on my rig when it was my DD for over two years. At first I worried about the bolts and checked them all religiously every 3k miles at tire rotation time. After awhile I started checking 5 or so random bolts per wheel. Never had one come loose. I stopped checking them after probably a year and a half. I ran Toyo 37" MTs on mine and did t need spacers.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Hutchinson wheels are a dual beed lock meaning that both sides of the tire are locked to the wheel vs a single outside block like every other bead lock wheel out there. You can run them flat and never loose a bead. It will ruin the tire though. They also use a bigger bolt and have fewer of them with a special split locking nut. Hutchinson is a military wheel manufacturer and does the off road market as kinda a side market so they are a battle tested product. They do tend to run heavy and don't offer different bs options as other may.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Hutchinson wheels are a dual beed lock meaning that both sides of the tire are locked to the wheel vs a single outside block like every other bead lock wheel out there. You can run them flat and never loose a bead. It will ruin the tire though. They also use a bigger bolt and have fewer of them with a special split locking nut. Hutchinson is a military wheel manufacturer and does the off road market as kinda a side market so they are a battle tested product. They do tend to run heavy and don't offer different bs options as other may.
I was aware of their military background but not of the dual bead locking mechanism. Thank you to everyone for their info and experience and it wouldn't be a complete thread without Dirtman.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

I see a few of you are running the Method 105's. I'm looking at purchasing a set soon. I know the methods only have 3.5" of back spacing, has anyone had any issues with running 37's. I just don't want to have to run an addition wheel spacers. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Hutchinson v method beads DOT